The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Long stretchs of highway

Post by RonV42
I have a quick question about road segments and long stretches of highway. On surface roads I usually only have one road segment from intersection to intersection. But on highways you may have 5, 10, or even 20 miles between exits. How are folks handling road segments for these long segments? Are you making them a 20 mile segment or are you say breaking them into 1 mile segments?

Thanks

-Ron
RonV42
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:723660

Send a message
Android • Area Manager: Hoffman Estates, IL and surrounding areas of Northwest Suburbs of Chicago area
Motorola Backflip 2.1 (J_R0DD preclair 1.6)

Post by dmcconachie
I use long segments too, for all the reasons above plus it just feels neater!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by RonV42
Thanks for the info. I have been using the longest possible segments this week to see what happens on I-90.
RonV42
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Android • Area Manager: Hoffman Estates, IL and surrounding areas of Northwest Suburbs of Chicago area
Motorola Backflip 2.1 (J_R0DD preclair 1.6)

Post by waynemcdougall
My advice: one segment
1. Prevents connectivity errors hiding in one little segment (or Waze deciding that one segment has become one way because of road construction one one part).
2. Improves routing accuracy. While subject to change, the last we knew was that junctions are given a time delay penalty when considering routing
3. Makes it easier for editing the details of the road - adding aliases, editing the geometry, etc. If you are making the road two-way, it becomes easier to change it to two one-way later. Or to add a separating barrier. Or lock it.
4. We can expect later editing tools to flag a road to junction to road as maybe missing a road...ie looking for intersections/missing roads. Let's avoid unnecessary false errors.
5. No good reason not to do so. Waze will report traffic congestions on a part of a long segment. It also keeps track of the road speeds point to point along a road, and not junction to junction.
waynemcdougall
Send a message
Waze User Manuals, Map Editing guide and support at http://www.waze.com/wiki
Wayne McDougall
Make Friends with me on Facebook and we'll compete against each other on the Scoreboard
http://www.facebook.com/wayne.w.mcdougall