The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

We're not in Kansas any more Dorothy...

Post by QuickOK
Hey guys, recently was driving with Waze open and all of a sudden I see I'm in Auburn, other? I checked a few road segments and it says that I'm in the state of Kansas, yet the city and road names are correct... Strangely it says I was the last, as well as another area manager, were the last ones to make edits to the affected roads... permalink below... what gives?

http://www.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=5&l ... 1=39488942
QuickOK

POSTER_ID:35871

Send a message

Post by QuickOK
I hope it's a quick fix, no pun intended. Good to know that others are experiencing this as well. Thanks for everyone's reply.
QuickOK
Send a message

Post by QuickOK
Having spoken to the upper echelons of admin, they advice that we leave it alone and they will take care of it. Did you get my PM I sent you on here with you displayed on the news?
QuickOK
Send a message

Post by QuickOK
I'll just get used to Auburn, Other. . .
QuickOK
Send a message

Post by support
Hello everyone:

We're aware of the fact that the city indicator on the upper right corner of the map might be inaccurate in some areas.

We are working on improving it and we will keep you posted when it's done.

In the meanwhile, we suggest to stick to city field in the edit panel and to the reference map in the left bottom corner.

Thanks,
Shirli
support
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message

TSinge8
Send a message
iPhone 4 - Area Manager for Colorado Springs, CO

Post by WeeeZer14
I'm in Knoxville TN and have recently been noticing "Cleveland, Other" in my area. Seems to be attached to roads with no names (possibly the ones I've seen previously set to being in NC although they were clearly in TN).

I emailed alpha@waze.com yesterday and they are looking into it. They acknowledge something is up. I suggest you drop them an email as well.
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator

Post by WeeeZer14
Support replied to my email again and was able to fix the random "Cleveland, Other" issues in my area. Things look good in Cartouche for the quick checks I've done so far. I just got back home from a vacation so I haven't been able to check deeply yet.

So if you haven't already, email alpha@waze.com and let them know what you are seeing with a permalink.
WeeeZer14
Send a message
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)

Post by WeeeZer14
FYI, they got rid of Cleveland, Other but now I have Denver, Other showing up. I already have my emails in to alpha.
WeeeZer14
Send a message

Post by whois101
Auburn is getting really prominent now. It even shows up on the maps the regular users see on their phone and computer, not just Cartouche anymore.

Here's what I think I observed: Sometimes, when creating a new road, the city all of a sudden defaults to 'Auburn, AL' (the first one in the list). If you're making a lot of updates, you might not catch that one, because it just doesn't make sense if the town changes from one update to another. And my guess is that, if there are multiple cities listed in an area, the map (Cartouche, regular map, and phone), just select the first name it finds in that area.

The database query probably does a group select for the city name and just picks the first one, while it should take the one that has the highest occurance. As a quick fix, the select should use max or order by to find the highest frequency. Probably not perfect, but it would get around the 'Auburn' display, everywhere.

Then, admin should run a query to find every occurance of 'Auburn, AL' (outside the real Auburn, AL, of course) and fix it, or mark them for the local users to fix it.

And then of course, Cartouche needs to be fixed so the accidental default doesn't happen again. Maybe start out with making the first entry in the pull-down empty.

As far as I can see, there is nothing we can do about it. It's not realistic to let the users dig through every stretch of road to find the few 'Auburn' references - this should be taken care of at admin level.
whois101
Send a message