Make your voice heard in the 2024 Waze Editors Community Satisfaction Survey!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Important: speed cams are now working (please read)

Post by
very happy to announce that we've finished testing and uploading the new speed cameras procedure - on both US and INTL servers!
If you'll open the speed cams layer, you'll notice that you now have speed cams in two colors - red and gray.

The red ones are the 'active' cams that should also appear on your phone (note the usual process of map tiles building which takes 24-48 hours).
The gray ones are those that were reported but not confirmed yet.

To confirm a speed cam and make it active:
Click on the camera, set the proper speed limit (in km/h or mph as determined by the cartouche), and then hit save. This will turn the camera to red (after you refresh the page), and will add the camera to the client tiles next time they are built.
See image attached for an example.

Notes:
* You can't move a camera from the cartouche, or create a new one. Currently, creating a new camera is only available from the application.
* We do not automatically turn all speed cam reports to an active camera because we don't want the client to be filled with speed cameras. (See how many area in the area of SF as an example).

Reminder:
* When driving, you will hear the audio alert of 'speed cam reported ahead' only when you are driving above the indicated speed limit.
* Otherwise, you will only see the alert on screen, but won't hear the audio.
* You can report a camera as 'not there' on your client if it's wrongfully displayed.

Thank you all for your patience. If you notice any problems with the new procedure, please let us know.

POSTER_ID:84

Send a message

Post by Atlas85
waynemcdougall wrote: What I wonder is what clicking "not here" actually does. Anything?
It removes the camera immediately from the Cartouche. And PLEASE do use the police man warning and not the speed cam. The mobile flashers are never longer at their location then a few hours so a speed cam never helps as it takes longer to put them in the cartouche than the threath is actually there. Another option is just obeying the speed limit.
Atlas85
Send a message

Post by Atlas85
We don't have people standing around with one finger in a dike
Shouldn't that be in an x-rated movie? :oops:
Atlas85
Send a message

Post by brummygit
I'm over the moon that the camera functionality has been improved, but I wonder if we can take it a step further in the UK.

We have lots of mobile camera vans where locations vary. The current pop-ups have a button to report that the camera is no longer there - this is not appropriate for mobile locations where they only appear from time to time.

Is it possible to add the functionality to differentiate between various camera types.
brummygit
Send a message
Previous Waze username hodgetts

UK • iPhone 4 • Area Manager for South Staffordshire, Wolverhampton, Tamworth, West Midlands and M6 corridor

Post by brummygit
Yes, that's exactly what I'd intended to say.

We have mobile speed camera locations where there are frequent traps in the same spot - some even have sensor wires in the road or hard standing at the side of the road for the van - but they are not always there. I am assuming that the current speed camera functionality will remove any that are marked as "not there" by subsequent users, however these warnings are still appropriate.
brummygit
Send a message
Previous Waze username hodgetts

UK • iPhone 4 • Area Manager for South Staffordshire, Wolverhampton, Tamworth, West Midlands and M6 corridor

Post by Bullety
So that I understand this correctly:
Reported speed cams by a client are gray and they need once to be turned into an active camera via the cartouche and will then stay in the map?

Another note: Please add the support for adding these speed cams for the BlackBerry version.
We BlackBerry users currently do not have any chance to add speed cams (nor via phone nor via cartouche).
Bullety
Send a message
Area Manager Raum Göppingen

Post by DavidRa
In countries where we drive on the left side of the road, cameras are generally displayed on the wrong side of the road on the map.

I'm assuming that the direction of the speed camera is preserved ... will it be possible to set cameras up so they're on the correct side of the road too?
DavidRa
Send a message
Waze 2.0.0.0 [WM] on HTC Touch Pro - Custom ROM - Area Manager for NW Sydney

Post by deeggo
Great news Krankyd! I'm happy the functionality is back in the air.

How about the extra functionality, like red light cams, bidirectional cans, trajectory cams?
Is it possible now to report a second cam on the other side of the road for bidirectional cams?
deeggo
Send a message
Global Champ. Country manager Nederland & België
NL: Wiki: hoe label ik een (snel)weg correct?
HTC One M8 | Follow me on Twitter
Join Dropbox, free online file sync! Register through this link and give you and me 250MB extra for free. Thanks!

Post by deeggo
My 2 cents:
if a policeman would show up at any of those "hot spots", a user will spot it and report as live police. If there's no-one there, it's useless to set it as a speed cam.

Years ago I downloaded a file with all speed cams in France as POI, and imported it in the nav program I was using at the time, at least I thought I downloaded that. I traversed France in my holiday. It appeared it not only contained the actual cams, but also all the places where a live police trap could be. After the first 50 or so times that I braked for nothing, I decided to not listen anymore. And then of course I passed an actual speed cam (not live police trap). So, please don't do that. There's just to many places where they could be. Waze would be warning you at every corner.
deeggo
Send a message
Join Dropbox, free online file sync! Register through this link and give you and me 250MB extra for free. Thanks!

Post by deeggo
:mrgreen:

Seriously, in the Netherlands a community already exists that warns each other for live police traps. They are downloaded to my phone automatically and I'm warned based on my GPS location. Generally, I am warned for 95% of police traps, and often even when they're not even finished yet building their equipment at the side of the road. There's always been someone before me.

So, if a community is big enough, this will not be a problem. And that's just a matter of time.
deeggo
Send a message

Post by deeggo
Well, I'll just put my smartphone in the dike and my hand in my mouth to stop talking and let you guys do it the way you like! :lol:
deeggo
Send a message