The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Wrong u-turns proposed/unable to restrict a u-turn

Post by drillster
Waze proposes wrong u-turns every now and then. Here's an example:
bad-u-turn.jpg
Wrong u-turn example
(17.22 KiB) Downloaded 547 times
Here is this place.

I don't know about other countries, but in Russia, you can only u-turn where a left turn is permitted. And even then, it may be specifically forbidden by a road sign. In Waze, I couldn't find a way to handle this situation.

Am I missing something, or is there really no way to tell Waze what rules at this intersection are?
drillster

POSTER_ID:194984

Send a message

Post by BrutusNL
Yes you can restrict turns. Imagine you cannot turn from street 1 to street 2, you than select street 1, hold control and select street 2 and choose the option CREATE TURN RESTRICTION. This should prevent it. However this only works if it's two separate roads. If it is one two-way street and you want to prevent a u-turn at a certain node/junction, I don't think that is possible.
BrutusNL
Send a message

Post by BrutusNL
Hi Chris, are you seriously saying Waze could actively ignore manually entered turn restrictions? That's shocking. If a turn restriction is manually edited it can never ignore that. It's a bit like ignoring a cop who says a road is closed "Sorry sir, but since I don't know a better route I take this road anyway"...
BrutusNL
Send a message

Post by RallyChris
Unfortunately you are somewhat correct at this point.

You can put turn restrictions in, but if waze cannot find a "better" way, it might suggest going against a turn restriction.

You can mitigate this by using the "lock" option on the road segments involved. Per Dror this will give even more weight to the turn restrictions.

Unfortunately there is no way to say no U-turn. The best way around this, is to make sure directionality and connectivity is okay on the proper route, then drive it to give the servers usage data (speed, number of times used, etc.)
RallyChris
Send a message
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png

Post by RallyChris
I agree with both of you... I personally think that manual turn restriction should be a no go, but here is Dror's exact words from a email discussion we had on locking. I copied into the wiki faq at that time http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/FAQ
Sets the routing to 'obey' the connectivity on the segment. That is, if a turn is not allowed (on the cartouche), usually the routing algorithm will give such a turn a penalty of x points and will try to avoid it, as much as possible. If the segment is locked, the penalty to make a turn against what is defined in the cartouche grows a lot, and the chances of getting a turn instruction that is against what has been defined is almost non existent.
He did use connectivity, and turn restriction in the same conversation, which I'm not sure if he is saying that they are handled the same, but I have seen routing disobey a turn restriction, the last time it do so, it lasted for about a week, then started working correctly again, so I don't have a current example.
RallyChris
Send a message
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png

Post by waynemcdougall
RallyChris wrote:You can put turn restrictions in, but if waze cannot find a "better" way, it might suggest going against a turn restriction.
Have you ever seen or experienced this yourself? Are you able to provide a link to a map where this happens? I'm inclined to think this is theoretical, in the same way I might theoretically win the lottery every week. It's certainly not impossible....just the probability is weighted against it.
RallyChris wrote:You can mitigate this by using the "lock" option on the road segments involved. Per Dror this will give even more weight to the turn restrictions.
Are you absolutely sure you understood @Dror on this point. I did not think he was talking about routing. My understanding is that he was talking about Waze servers changing the turn restrictions at a junction based on driving routes. So for example, Waze is less likely to enable a right hand turn at a junction if the segment is locked, even if it sees wazers making that turn. I haven't seen anything about locks affecting routing. Can you provide any reference?
waynemcdougall
Send a message