The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Restricted Turns

Post by zuckerj
I saw another post here that essentially states, restricted turns are useless, and have no effect on routing, so I should just ignore them. Is this true? If so, why are they there?

If this is not entirely accurate, and they do have an effect on routing, how do I manipulate them? All I can find is an option to "Enable All Turns", or "Restrict All turns". What if I just want to say you can't make a left at this intersection, or something of the same ilk? How do I accomplish this?

Thanks for any help,

Jz.
zuckerj

POSTER_ID:32761

Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
It's the Restricted Turns layer on cartouche that is flawed. The function itself works just fine.

Flick on segment 1, hold ctrl then click on segment 2(the road you cannot turn in to!) then in the edit panel, choose to restrict turns!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
As Wayne says the key is the "Highlight Connectivity" checkbox! Should be permanently on in my opinion, don't see any reason not to have it on.

Almost as important is the fact that the restricted turns layer is fundamentally flawed - just don't go near it! The connectivity highlights will tell you everything you need to know!

And yes, "flick" above should of course be "click" :oops:
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by RallyChris
restricted turns do work. The bug is that in some cases the arrow doesn't go away. Wherever they are stored in the database is not being removed properly during other edits. It is best to work with "Highlight connectivity" turned on. Whenever dealing with an intersection. Do an enable all turns, restrict the turns you can't do, toggle the zoom level to refresh the highlight connectivity, and check that everything looks okay.
RallyChris
Send a message
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png

Post by waynemcdougall
zuckerj wrote:As far as I can tell, the whole turn thing just doesn't seem to work very well.

I "click" on both segments and it doesn't really help. I enable all turns and the restrictions stay in place. I see intersection that should have turns restricted, but nothing is there. I see other intersections that shouldn't have turn restrictions of and it is covered in restrictions.

Had two instances where, when getting off a freeway, I was told to turn the wrong direction, only to then make an immediate U-turn, or around the block U-turn. This seems to be a restricted turn issue to me, but I can't fix.
The good news Jz is that it does work very well, but you just have to wrap your head around a few ideas, and avoid some quirks. You sound smart so I don't think this will be a problem for you.

So http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Map_Editing will get you started.
Use http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/How_ ... ap_editing
to set up Cartouche. Note that the Restricted Turns layer is almost useless, so don't use it. The key is the Highlight connectivity.

So as you have figured out, every road is connected to another by a junction. Each junction specifies what direction turns are allowed.

Now the first step is make all the one-way roads one-way (in the right direction) and the two-way roads, two-way.
Then click on the junction, and choose Enable all Turns on the Edit panel. This will not allow turns that are not permitted because of one-way roads.
Next if necessary, apply any turn restrictions. To do this, click on the road you are coming from, hold down the CTRL key and then click on the road you are not allowed to turn into. Then choose Create turn restriction from the Edit panel. Repeat for each turn that is restricted.

Remember it will take a few days (up to a week if the servers are not up to speed) for the changes to come through to your phone.
waynemcdougall
Send a message
Waze User Manuals, Map Editing guide and support at http://www.waze.com/wiki
Wayne McDougall
Make Friends with me on Facebook and we'll compete against each other on the Scoreboard
http://www.facebook.com/wayne.w.mcdougall

Post by zuckerj
So I guess the question is, how do I restrict specific turns?

Not sure I understood what "flick on segment 1" ... "segment 2"

I'm going to go play a little and see if I can figure it out though.

Thanks for the info.

Joel
zuckerj
Send a message

Post by zuckerj
As far as I can tell, the whole turn thing just doesn't seem to work very well.

I "click" on both segments and it doesn't really help. I enable all turns and the restrictions stay in place. I see intersection that should have turns restricted, but nothing is there. I see other intersections that shouldn't have turn restrictions of and it is covered in restrictions.

Had two instances where, when getting off a freeway, I was told to turn the wrong direction, only to then make an immediate U-turn, or around the block U-turn. This seems to be a restricted turn issue to me, but I can't fix.

Jz.
zuckerj
Send a message