Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by dknight212
petervdveen wrote:As soon as it will happen, we will ask for a complete removal of all railroads.
Or we ask for a rule in the validator and remove them manualy in a few hours ;-)
How hard can it be to remove these notes?
dknight212
Send a message

Post by dknight212
Surely better to get rid of them now and have one less excuse for Waze procrastination...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
dknight212
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
Conversely I would say the argument that some editors may not see the UR layer is very MINOR vs the advantages of the UR comment system over the Railroad system. The latter is just crude, the former is not only better but also allows us to add (/keep), an albeit minor, feature in the client.
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
Fredo-p wrote:So, if it's been posted before, I can't seem to find it, could the champs kind of "remind" the Waze team about the need for notes? :D
We do. Roughly 2-300 times a day between us.
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
Dave2084 created a reasonable schema...
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/20/8edepuhy.jpg

We forwarded to HQ who are taking it into consideration.
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by Dogshrink
I'm probably just reiterating different parts of what others have already stated, but at least my thoughts will be in one place:
1) Railroads are good for navigation on the client, as recognizable points on the map.
2) If the client is used on a train, the path matching the railroad segments should be invalid for paving, miles traveled, and map editor areas.
3) Parallel train and road segments may cause a problem in terms of knowing if the user is on the road or train, but knowable as the entire route will not be parallel to the tracks if on a road. There is an algorithm that coders can figure out.

Those are my thoughts. Use them as you will.
Jeff
Dogshrink
Send a message
Jeff Cushner
South Whitehall
Former SM, Area Manager Lehigh Valley, PA
https://s.waze.tools/c2s.png https://s.waze.tools/s0175.png

Post by egadgetguy
I have a railroad question and I don't know where to go. In my town there are many railroad crossing, but I am noticing the railroads are at -5 level and locked to 5. There needs to be some kind of warning that this is a crossing and not a bridge. This is a much more important safety issue than even red lights..
egadgetguy
Send a message

Post by foxitrot
shirlig wrote:...we plan to add road types to the map soon...
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
...with the good old crashing :roll: Symbian 2.1.99.114 (on N-E52), while
trying to get used to the good new asocial Android 4.xx.0.yyy (on OP-X March-me-Low).

Post by Fredo-p
Timbones wrote:Spotted in the 3.8 client today (Intl server, default theme), guess what type of segments are shown here...

[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1403119059300.jpg[/attachment]
It's being discussed in a few threads. If you notice, the railroads appear much like roads. So it could be confusing to some. Hope there is a change down the line to fix this issue.
Fredo-p
Send a message

Arizona Wiki | @Waze_Arizona Twitter
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S8+

Post by Fredo-p
kentsmith9 wrote:The UR hack is clever, but the key point of the notes on railroads was to communicate to the entry level editors who do not use any of our cool tools in the first place and may not even know about the UR layer.

Plain and simple:

1. We need a solution to guarantee new editors see a note.
2. (IMO) Seeing a railroad on the map is a very MINOR aid to navigation vs. the ability to communicate with a novice editor who is going to screw up the map.

Therefore keep the railroad invisible UNTIL we have a tool to guarantee communication to 100% of the users as an alternative to the current method that uses the Railroad segment.
I recommended an interactive note feature on the request thread viewtopic.php?f=656&t=96911and got this reply:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:It's already been posted before (I think!?) that Waze is working on notes implementation in the editor.
So, if it's been posted before, I can't seem to find it, could the champs kind of "remind" the Waze team about the need for notes? :D
Fredo-p
Send a message

Arizona Wiki | @Waze_Arizona Twitter
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S8+