Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Regarding Railroads

Post by
Hi guys,

We receive a lot of questions and requests from users regarding railroads behavior in the client and the way they should be marked in the editor.

Railroads are currently not displayed in the client - we know that many of you use different workarounds for this issue like setting railroads as other non-drivable road types.

Please note that our official instructions are to always edit the map in a way that reflects the reality and to avoid workarounds to deal with wrong behaviors that need to be fixed from our end.

Regarding railroads - our instructions are to mark railroads as railroads road type. Please don't use different road types in order to force its display in the client.
We plan to add railroads to the client display.

Moreover, some of you use railroads road type as a way to add comments in the editor. As we plan to add road types to the map soon - please try to remove these comments and avoid adding more of them so they won't go live :)
Better communication tools are also planned for the editor.

Comment: there were some issues that made the routing use railroads and the navigation snap to railroad segments. These issue should be fixed.

Thanks!!

Shirli

POSTER_ID:94099

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
banished wrote:Proposed drawing and North American naming convention here.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?re ... 137D5!1006
I think that's pretty decent. In general a bit detailed for the majority of editors, but I think a fine start to discuss. Should be posted in the wiki discussion forum because it will become part of the wiki.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
qwaletee wrote:How often do we get to thumbs-up the removal of a feature that a lot of people want?
:D For my part, I was thanking the posting of the information, not the removal itself. I would prefer RR stay visible now.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
petervdveen wrote:I'm not sure.. They are added as road, that is terribly confusing in my opinion.
I think this is only because the app has no ability in this version to create the kind of repeating hash mark kind of display that most people associate with a railroad. The app can only create a solid-filled, different-colored border constant line. It is v4 which is supposed to have the full client map revamp like livemap.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
dmcconachie wrote:Dave2084 created a reasonable schema...
Yes, the dark line is a reasonable suggestion. I find its darkness to be too prominent, though I could live with it in the interim. I'm not sure how that looks in areas where there is a higher density of rail lines which are far enough apart to be separately mapped.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Dave2084 wrote:Easy to add to any schema, jut paste in below the roads and above landmarks/places:
sketch wrote:Thanks! Would you mind making a mockup with default? I don't have a lot of computer time this week.
And if you do, could I suggest that it be posted into the Color Schemes thread and linked here in this thread? Just to keep schemes organized.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
egadgetguy wrote:I have a railroad question and I don't know where to go. In my town there are many railroad crossing, but I am noticing the railroads are at -5 level and locked to 5. There needs to be some kind of warning that this is a crossing and not a bridge. This is a much more important safety issue than even red lights..
Waze couldn't give any kind warning about a RR crossing. There's no feature for that. RR are set the way they are currently because Waze used to route on them if they were junctioned to a real road, regardless of turn restrictions etc. It was a significant issue.

The guidance on this will be changing soon. There is a thread in the wiki forum on changing this we are discussing right now.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by argus-cronos
Another mess again, nothing will be done with this to prevent segment speeds of paralel roads. Useless.
argus-cronos
Send a message

Post by banished
Just informed about this thread...

I plan to write for wiki publication a section on how to draw and name railroads, subject to review. I've been a proponent for railroads being returned to the client and am quite pleased with the announcement.

Before Waze took over my life, I was (and still am) a pro-amateur railroad photographer/videographer and have been since 1972. I ran a sole-proprietorship railroad video business for a few years, but taxes and government regulations stole my joy.

The scope will be for a North American audience because that is what I know. I hope to have something for review in a couple of weeks and will announce here, in this thread, when the draft is ready.

http://rob3ri.rrpicturearchives.net/arc ... x?id=48519

Best to You,
banished
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
GC, ARC, Veteran, CISSP, MCP

Post by banished
Proposed drawing and North American naming convention here.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?re ... 137D5!1006
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by banished
The discussion was occurring concurrently in both threads. I posted in both so as not to exclude anyone based on their forum permissions. I'm fine if it is consolidated to somewhere that all can access...with the most likely place being a Wiki page.

I'm not an expert on setting up a Wiki page and have no objection if someone who does wants to do that.
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message