The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Basemaps for UAE

Post by Viking63ef
I read somewhere that there is a "quite good basemap in my area" and for my area (Abu Dhabi and UAE) there is nothing available as far as I can see. Mapping a town from scratch is a hell of a job so anyone here knows if there is anyway of finding a basemap to start with or is it just not available for this area?
Viking63ef

POSTER_ID:891164

Send a message
Eric
Area Manager Abu Dhabi, UAE

Post by support
erfo02 wrote:I read somewhere that there is a "quite good basemap in my area" and for my area (Abu Dhabi and UAE) there is nothing available as far as I can see. Mapping a town from scratch is a hell of a job so anyone here knows if there is anyway of finding a basemap to start with or is it just not available for this area?
Hi Eric,

The most important principle in Waze is the independence from other sources for building the maps.

As you know the maps are user generated, and they can't be based on sources outside waze.

For that reason, and due to copyright issues, if we find on waze maps that users use other maps for build it ,we will remove all of those roads from Live Map/Cartouche.

We appreciate your interest in improving Waze.

Thank you,
Damian
support
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message

Post by support
Hi,

Most of the maps starting from scratch, there are places like the US that started with grid.
The area that you mentioned has no grid and the maps will build by the users.

Regards,
Liz
support
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message

Post by Viking63ef
I think you misunderstood me. What I asked more or less is if there is a basic map in certain areas that you can start with or has every area started from totally scratch? I have no intention to import anything else so it is just a simple question if it has to be done from scratch or if there is a starting point?
Viking63ef
Send a message
Eric
Area Manager Abu Dhabi, UAE