The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Should interstates indicate direction (N,S,E,W)

Post by
Should interstates indicate their direction such as North, South, East, or West?

I know I've read about this somewhere in the Forums, but I can't find it (the Forum search is useless).

If they should, what is the recommended format/syntax?

thanks...

POSTER_ID:888870

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I've noticed on the I- 5 corridor in Oregon that there are many portions of the interstate which use the "Nb" and "Sb" notation, which allows a user to understand that it means Northbound and Southbound, at the same time it is clearly not a "N" or "S" part of the street name, and... !! :) it saves another character in the name, not having to use parentheses (), brackets [], or braces {}.

I'd like to propose this nomenclature as standard. Thoughts?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Sketch, I've read that page several times and didn't think it was mentioned. Reading it again, I'd say it is unclear on proper naming convention for north/south east/west sides of separated highways and freeways. I could spruce up the page a bit to clarify. Though I do not believe we're at much of a consensus here. :)

Can we do a poll, or am I out of line in asking as it appears to be wikied already?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Ok. Thanks. The inability to search the forum really limits research into previously covered topics.

I will comply. :)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
waynemcdougall wrote:Use wiki as first stop for research. It has a great search tool. Forums are good for discussions.
Yes, yes. I mentioned that I had read the wiki above and it didn't call it out clear enough for me to be comfortable with moving forward, which is why I came here. To discuss.

I'm good with the proper notation after chatting with sketch. Thanks for the clarifications!
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Last edited by AlanOfTheBerg on Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Nice edits on the wiki. Clearer now.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Perhaps this is already documented, but I didn't see it, and this is more of an FYI, maybe useful in the wiki, but I found that this area and segment of St. Paul Hwy (State Route/Hwy 219) shows the badge even when the "State Hwy 219" text is in the alt street field. You can check it on the Live Map, and this segment shows no user or update date at all, so it's been around for a while.

I am happy about this, as at level then, the map will pick up that the State Hwy through a city, though we will change the primary name to be the local name and put the highway in the alt street field, the pulled out zoom will display the highway as going through the town.

Gives me hope for the client being able to display alt street names in the future, though I know Live Map and client are not exactly kin. I'm gonna keep my glass half full. ;)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
banished wrote:...has anyone asked why the live map is important to begin with?
My $.02 as a relatively new user:

I haven't asked, but what I use the Live Map for is a representation of what the clients will likely display, especially in terms of road names, and the validity and proper set up of intersections and allowed turns without having to go there physically with my phone.

When an off-ramp to an interstate is coming up, if I name it properly in the client, then it will be easier for the user in the car to understand which way to go when the graphic map might be confusing in a particular area. Hence the need to differentiate the directionality of the roadway letter at the end as discussed here.

Now, it's not so much that the "Live Map displays the pretty badges for interstates, US and state routes properly! Isn't it pretty!?" as much as it is about standardizing terminology. If that makes it more likely that the client will display features and graphics in a consistent manner, then end user experience is more consistent and predictable and enjoyable and worthwhile.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sketch wrote:Looks like the inclusion of directionality (which is essentially necessary for clarity of reports and such) breaks shield display, anyway
Aw, man! That's a bummer. Has Waze (support) ever officially weighed in on this topic? I would hope they'd be reading this so they can adjust/configure the software to conform to the standards. Or give the super-official word on this is supposed to be done...
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I am resurrecting this thread because in an email I asked Waze support to weigh in on this topic. One answer they came back with so far is the following:
Dror wrote:As for the alternative name, I can tell you for certain that in order for the badge to be created, the highway name must be displayed in the 'name' (and not 'alt name').
This is unfortunate due to the naming of state highways which change in small towns and then revert back to the State route name between towns. The badging wouldn't be consistent throughout. Google Maps does this correctly, and I think Waze should as well.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Banished wrote:I resolved not to worry about the Live Map. It has no impact on the client or the Cartouche' editor that I have seen.
Ditto, but the only reason why I do 'worry' about the badges now is that I have hope that they will be properly rendered in the client as well.
jondrush wrote:If I understand you correctly, US Hwy 1 needs to be in the Name field to see a badge?
That is how I interpret Dror's email as well.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message