Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Newbie questions, please help

Post by ufergus
Hello all, I am new to Waze and only have been using about a week. I have a couple questions that I was unable to find through search or the wiki.

1) What do we do about roads that are driveways? I live in the middle of farmland and I see a lot of roads on the map that are just driveways. Should we leave these as 'no entrance' or delete them?

2) This one is strange, I tried to 'drive to' my office on my mobile but it can't find the address. When I search for the same address through the web it pops right up and I can get directions no problem. How or who do I report this to?

3) Update question, the service wiki pages lists the last cartouche update as 11/2. I started using Waze on 11/6 and recorded a few new roads. These new roads have since been removed from my mobile. I shouldn't expect them to show up in cartouche until the service date is later than 11/6, right?

Thanks
Rich
ufergus

POSTER_ID:1018907

Send a message

Post by RallyChris
Welcome to Waze
ufergus wrote:1) What do we do about roads that are driveways? I live in the middle of farmland and I see a lot of roads on the map that are just driveways. Should we leave these as 'no entrance' or delete them?
This has been a heated discussion in the past. My opinion is that it would be nice to have a "don't show private drives option" in the client. But going forward with what we currently have.

Private drives for driveways with multiple houses.
Private drive is nice for someone that uses waze and lives up a long drive.
Delete for those short driveways.

The normal counter point to this, is that it nice for navigation to be able to go... no "not that road", but on the other hand. I wouldn't normally try to turn up a one lane gravel road without a street sign when looking for an instructed turn :)
ufergus wrote:2) This one is strange, I tried to 'drive to' my office on my mobile but it can't find the address. When I search for the same address through the web it pops right up and I can get directions no problem. How or who do I report this to?
I just want to make sure, but you mean by can't find address, is that you can't even get a destination to choose from, before getting to the navigation part. I know from working on house numbers with development, that the client uses a slightly different search algorithm then the web server. So you probably will need to email a from/to address pair to alpha@waze.com
ufergus wrote:3) Update question, the service wiki pages lists the last cartouche update as 11/2. I started using Waze on 11/6 and recorded a few new roads. These new roads have since been removed from my mobile. I shouldn't expect them to show up in cartouche until the service date is later than 11/6, right?
The wiki, was an attempt to get Waze HQ to give us some firm numbers when things are behind on processing. Things are just behind right now. Waze is suffering from popularity right now, so things are taking longer than designed. A good barometer is to check the highest zoom level on live map. If it hasn't changed there yet, then the mobile has no chance. Next the mobile has three rules to when it will download updated map tiles (bandwidth saving techniques).

1) An updated map tile is along a navigated route. Always download
2) You use the "show on map" option from a search. If the destination is in an updated map tile, you get the new one.
3) A map tile being shown is more than a week old, then the server will be checked for a new tile.

Manual approach. Some of the platforms have a button to request a refresh of all tiles, and all of them will get new tiles if you uninstall/reinstall (hold off on the last one, the upper three should be sufficient).
RallyChris
Send a message
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png