The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Primary Roads/Minor Highways (Specifically in Chicago)

Post by imsaguy
Ok, I'm a new Area Manager for some Southern Burbs and I wanted some input as to what should be labelled "primary roads" vs "minor highways". Anyone from Chicago or that has traveled to Chicago knows about its road numbering. If not, here's a link. There doesn't seem to be much organization as to what to label as what other than the one page in the wiki found here.

If you follow my link above, you see where the major roads in my area are 111th, 119th, 127th, 135th, 143rd, etc for the North/South and Central, Cicero, Pulaski, Kedzie, Western, etc for the East/West. In Waze right now, some are labelled just roads, others are labelled as minor highways, others still are labelled primary roads. They aren't "highways" like an interstate or a state route, but they are major thoroughfares. They occur every mile and they are major arterial roads for the area so I wouldn't classify them as normal 'roads'.

I'd like to propose that all of the "mile roads" coming out of Chicago be marked as primary roads.

It would encourage the Waze routing to use them rather than trying to send someone down parallel side streets. I know someone will mention something about the junction penalty correcting for this, but it doesn't always because there's no way to distinguish between a junction where one road yields to another vs a junction where there's a light vs a junction where there's a stop sign. In addition, they would show up in a few higher zoom levels, allowing a person to better know where they are when travelling on the major highways and interstates.

I would like to know what other people think. Does this match up with what other people are doing, both in and out of the Chicagoland area? I'd like to get input and reach some sort of consensus before going and updating all the roads in my area.
imsaguy

POSTER_ID:969859

Send a message

Post by imsaguy
Thanks, I saw that thread shortly after posting my own. I don't know how I missed yours because I went looking before posting mine to make sure I wasn't repeating. I look forward to getting this hashed out so everyone's on the same page.
imsaguy
Send a message

Post by WeeeZer14
I'm not in Chicago, but that approach matches my thoughts which we started to get into over in this thread:

http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6617
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator