Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Official feedback thread - v1.3 - Schedules & Conversation

Post by
Hey guys,

A new version of the editor is upon us!

The two main features we are introducing today are Scheduled Restrictions and Conversations.

In general:

Scheduled restrictions - lets you define segments which are only available to some types of vehicles for some of the time. This is useful for HOV and public transport lanes, bridges, disallowed left turns in rush hour, etc.

https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d5/Lotsa_turns.jpg

A few things to note about this feature:
  • Scheduled Restrictions are part of the map. That means that whenever tiles are updated the scheduled restrictions are updated. That makes this feature less appropriate for things like short-term construction works and and sports events. We are working hard on tools that will work for these use cases as well!
  • Currently all Waze clients are considered a 'private vehicle' so that's the only kind of restrictions that apply.
  • There's currently a bug in the system where restrictions with duration of more than approximately 50 days are not taken into account. We are taking care of this and it will be solved within the next few days. You will be updated.
Conversations - this feature lets you talk directly from the editor with people who have reported update requests. Client users are able to reply directly from the client, and you will get a notification to your client and an email when they respond.

https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/thumb/ ... eplies.jpg

We encourage you to go and read the comprehensive wiki articles (Scheduled Restrictions / Conversations) so you can make the most out of these two features. These are very powerful features which can be destructive in untrained hands :D

I want to take the chance to thank our amazing community for helping us thoroughly test these features, suggest improvements, and write the wiki articles! You are the best!

Please let us know if you see any issues or have any feedback at all.

Happy editing,
Ohad

POSTER_ID:12957716

Send a message

Post by abebob
Good news.That's what we are waiting for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
abebob
Send a message

Post by afonsolf
Great improvement!
Will it be a app update soon? I noticed there are some taxis using Waze here, and as there are some restrictions to private vehicles that doesn't apply to them it would be great if we can set the kind of vehicle we're diving in the app.

Thanks!
afonsolf
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/7/76/W ... 00k_4c.png
Afonso L. de Faria.
AM: grande Porto; Viana do Castelo, Valença. Portugal.

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
vickimachado wrote:
olestas wrote:But do turn restrictions actually work in routing?
They've worked in beta testing, according to multiple reports. Very useful in our area -- so far!
They do, but unless they have fixed a routing bug, restrictions which are dated and have a span of more than 50 days will not work. They were supposed to fix this as part of the public release.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CBenson wrote:
vickimachado wrote:What about permanent restrictions? If "every week" is selected, those restrictions work, right?
They seem to be working for me.
Agreed. "All weeks" or no-date-ranged restrictions, both turn and segment types, are working as designed, from my POV.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Thortok2000 wrote:- It did not give a 'push notification' for me.
I did extensive testing on the notifications and determined that push does work, but it does fail often. I used a test account to post the URs from the app so I could see what users would get exactly, and when. It seemed to send more reliably if I had clicked Permalink on the map recently. But even with that, some push notifications were just completely lost or never sent. Either way, some where never received. (Hard to know where the problem lies.)

There were times when the push didn't appear, but the message was in inbox. But there were more times that neither the push nor the inbox message was received.

At this time, you are not 100% guaranteed that the Reporter will get the push. More likely is that they will get an inbox message without notification. These is disappointing because for those users who register with a fake email address or only use facebook to connect, they will never get an email, so the push/inbox is the only way we can get messages to them.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Nikiburton wrote:In my city (in spain) there are some streets where cars cannot drive except electrical cars.
It is going to be included in the restrictions this vehicles?
I do not see it listed as a suggestion. I searched the thread Waze posted a while back.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Thortok2000 wrote:- Oh, and one more thing. I'm like, somewhat OCD about marking problems 'solved' or 'not identified' as quickly as possible. I like checking the map, sometimes several times a day, to clear the place of those little !'s. This whole waiting 7 days for a person to reply thing is killing me. Is there any way that we can mark something as solved or not identified, then if the user who reported it wants to they can reply and reopen it?
I understand it can be a pain, but we editors need to think of this from the community and user-POV. Not all of them use Waze daily, and so 7 days is a reasonable amount of time to wait. Yes, that means our maps will have a few more commented-on orange pins hanging around, but in order to give users a reasonable amount of time to respond, we need the patience.

There is the possibility to have closed URs visible on the map for a time. That may become a feature of the editor in the future. If they can be re-opened or are just for visibility/reference, remains to be determined.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
edsonajj wrote:
trooster10 wrote:1. "env=usa" is required at the end of the editor URL in order to access the restrictions and conversations panels.
Maybe for users in the US and Canada, not true for the rest of the world.
This switch in the URL is not currently working.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Thortok2000 wrote:As for communication, do we want to go with a 3-warning system?
I think it's overkill as I don't want to spend this much time managing UR communication. But there's certainly no harm in doing it this way if you wish.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
jasonh300 wrote:How do we handle users with driven area permissions that allow them to start conversations in URs but have no ability to edit anything on major roads in the area because their level is too low, and therefore no hope of being able to solve anything?
Tell em to stfu? j/k. If you can get the name, send a PM.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message