Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by AlanOfTheBerg
elle-emme wrote:Perhaps it wasn't your intention, but what I got from that statement is "what good are these useless low-ranked editors? All they can do is ask questions and then not be able to fix anything!"

Which, as a low-ranked editor, is rather offensive :|
Asking questions, such as in the forums, is one thing, but I think Jason's saying that if the UR is on a freeway or other roadway and it's a complaint about the ramp naming, which is locked at 5, a rank 1 editor doesn't need to be asking for clarification in the UR necessarily, because they have no way to fix it. Given the experience with a lot (not all) new editors, they will close the UR as NI without making the change and then this update opportunity may be lost.

A very small percentage of new editors may come to the forum to post the permalink asking for an update because of the UR. That's great, but it is rare.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
@jasonh300 I think you're being overly critical and restrictive. This is a collaborative environment and the handful of country managers can't fix everything. We've got to have newer editors looking at URs and looking to solve map issues too.

I didn't even think URs showed up outside a user's editable area, which means they could have rights to fix the issues within that area. If URs show up everywhere now, that's a WME issue which should be fixed.
elle-emme wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:So now, the lower level user has to ask for an unlock, or ask for someone else to fix the problem, creating additional complication.
As long as the lower-ranked editor does that, is it really such an issue? How is it any different than a low-ranked editor running across the same problem during their normal editing of the map and posting an unlock request in the forum?
I agree. Just because there is a conversation going on, asking for an unlock is no different now than before. Hundreds of editors every month ask for unlocks because of a UR they can't resolve due to rank. This is a normal part of the editing workflow. This is not an additional complication. We've been doing this for years.
jasonh300 wrote:We've worked on and tested this feature for 6 months now to make it a DIRECT communication between the editor and the reporter. Obviously this isn't how it's going to work now that everyone has access to it. This is quickly going to turn into an unmanageable mess.
I disagree. Now I don't have to worry about trying to solve ALL URs in my area using conversations. What I didn't think about in testing is a way to quickly, visually ID URs which I have participated in. Like the Participated list for the forum in Tapatalk.
elle-emme wrote:If you worked on and tested it for six months, then how did this issue never come up? Did no one ever bring up the possibility of rank-locking conversations according to the rank lock of the road the UR was reported on?
But a good % of URs aren't about the road they are reported on anyway, so that's one reason it didn't come up. And I don't think it is worth the effort to pursue as a feature. The whole "issue" with multiple editors being involved in URs and the possible problems with it was partly due to not a lot of overlap between editors. But even before public release, we had issues with URs being closed improperly and having a conversation tool is not going to change it.
elle-emme wrote:edit: also, if it's such a big deal that plebeian editors are forbidden from initiating conversations on roads that are rank-locked and only patrician editors should do so, why isn't it addressed in the Wiki article about URs and conversations?
IMO, it isn't, and therefore, it isn't.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
pizuz wrote:I think I found a serious bug... of some sort:

When batch-selecting a couple of segments that don't bear the same street name or city name (no common street and no common city), editing one of those fields deletes the contents of the other one.
This has been like this in the editor for two years. This is why, and the interface is quite clear, the No Name checkbox is selected for those fields which will be set that way if you continue.

There have been proposals to Waze to make multiple-selections more user friendly, but none have been enacted yet. Waze doesn't consider this a serious enough issue (it is not a bug) to spend time changing it at this time.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sasprin wrote:I'm looking forward to get started!
Welcome! Please make sure to read the editor documentation, and get involved in your country forum for when you have questions.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sketch wrote:The problem in the instant case is that the low-level editor in question is immediate-blanket-responding in sloppy English to every UR in an area, 80 miles from his managed area, which is managed quite well by two Level 6 Country Managers.
Editors cannot even see URs on the map outside of their editable area. The hyperbole here isn't exactly helping. Therefore, any URs which can be seen are potentially actionable by the editor and I see no problem with them asking the reporter for more information.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sketch wrote:That said, an addition to the in-map UR marker which shows whether you're following that UR would be helpful in situations like these....
https://bugs.waze.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5957
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
HavanaDay wrote:If Area Managers are coming along and seeing 1 comment and assuming that someone else is assuming the responsibility for the issue, are they really doing their job. if the Area Manager can solve it, then solve it. I understand the abuse that can go along with this, but, can we really solve the issue of someone wanting to close out 100 UR's for the points before the actual act. If you lock down UR's (another discussion) then aren't you in somewhat way limiting problems getting solved?
Not just AMs: when I come upon a UR that has a comment from another editor requesting info from the reporter, and I think I know the answer, I will add a comment for the benefit of the original editor. I've done that a few times recently.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
SuperDave1426 wrote:
ohad-ron wrote:Conversations - this feature lets you talk directly from the editor with people who have reported update requests. Client users are able to reply directly from the client, and you will get a notification to your client and an email when they respond.
Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! I've lost count of how many times I've seen a "General error (user reported)" with no other information provided by the user, and the path information being displayed was insufficient to figure out the problem, so I've just had to mark the issue as "solved" to get it off the map. This should be a BIG help to let us clear those up in a more meaningful way! :mrgreen:
You should have been marking those as "Not Identified" as you didn't solve the issue they were reporting. Only MPs should never be marked as "Not Identified", NOT URs.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
hebermc wrote:I had to clear cookies for the "Add restrictions" be displayed.
Yes, you sometimes have to clear your cache to force WME to update in your browser. This is normal behavior (and is based on your personal browser settings).
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
afonsolf wrote:Great improvement!
Will it be a app update soon? I noticed there are some taxis using Waze here, and as there are some restrictions to private vehicles that doesn't apply to them it would be great if we can set the kind of vehicle we're diving in the app.
This feature is not yet in App Beta testing yet, but it is planned.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager