Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by SuperDave1426
elle-emme wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:So now, the lower level user has to ask for an unlock, or ask for someone else to fix the problem, creating additional complication.
As long as the lower-ranked editor does that, is it really such an issue? How is it any different than a low-ranked editor running across the same problem during their normal editing of the map and posting an unlock request in the forum?
Absolutely +1.

When I'm editing whatever and need to have someone else apply the change because there's a junction node, etc., that's attached to something locked at a rank higher than me, I post the usual unlock/update request and it gets handled by someone. Nobody seems to complain about all that extra complication because I couldn't just handle it myself.

I completely fail to see how this is any different. If I'm browsing and come across something as incredibly "informative" as a UR containing "General error (user reported)" with no describing text and nothing showing up in the drive or waze-provided routing that gives me a clue as to the problem, I would have simply closed it as NI in the days before we had this feature - regardless of what rank the road was locked at because there's nothing to go on. NOBODY would be able to solve that, regardless of rank. Now we DO have the feature, so I see absolutely nothing wrong with making the comment to ask the reporter for more information. Then, simply follow the procedure as outlined in the Wiki: Give it a few days and if there's no reply from the reporter, close the UR. If there is a reply, then I've now got the same information that I would be giving in an unlock/update request I make for myself. Treat it at that point like any other unlock/update, make the request and when it's taken care of, close the UR in addition to the usual thank/solved in that thread.

Using the above example (General error), I've already run into three of those on roads I could edit where the reply was, essentially, "Oops." They hit it by accident or didn't realize they had done it. Problem solve, UR solved, done. In the case of a rank locked road, I wouldn't even have to post the unlock/update request since the UR itself can be closed.
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I didn't even think URs showed up outside a user's editable area, which means they could have rights to fix the issues within that area. If URs show up everywhere now, that's a WME issue which should be fixed.
I think his big issue is with URs and MPs that editors can get to, but can't "do anything about" because the road where the note appears is locked at a rank higher than the editor. (Which as far as I'm concerned is a NON issue for the reasons I gave in my reply earlier in this thread.)

Just as a FYI: I'm able to see URs and MPs outside of my editable area and even open them up to see what the reported issue is; however, I can't close them. Which is as it should be. :-)

I haven't looked to see if a UR outside of my editable area will let me start or add to a conversation, though. I think there's nothing wrong with being able to see a UR/MP outside of one's editable area, but I could see a possible issue if you can start or add to a conversation outside of your editable area, given the inability to actually close the UR as Solved or NI.
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
ottonomy wrote:These conditions are the case for me in both the production and beta editors. SuperDave, can you verify that you're actually able to view URs outside your area, and not just MPs?
I went back to verify, and you know what? You're right. It's only MPs that I'm seeing outside my editable area. I guess I confused myself on the first look-through. :-)
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
I, for one, appreciate it when another editor helps out. There have been a couple of times now when another editor saw my request for more information from the reporter and knew what the problem was. That other editor fixed the segment of road that needed fixing and left a comment stating what the problem was and what his fix was. I then added a comment that I was closing the UR as solved (for the benefit of the reporter, assuming that he would actually get the messages at some point) and then so closed the UR.

I started the conversation and since I was still active in it, I appreciated being the one to close the UR, but as to the edit itself, I didn't care since it was a valid edit to fix the problem. I realize other editors might not feel quite that way. :-) But for me, I'm not editing to get points (yes, the points are nice, but that's not primarily why I edit), I'm editing to help make the map better.
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
paulkok_my wrote:Today I got a few push notification on my client from UR replying but I do not receive any email notification. Anybody facing this?
I've been getting them ok so far. This is probably an obvious question, but have you checked with your E-Mail provider to make sure that the notifications from Waze aren't ending up being treated as spam?
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by Thortok2000
Question: What should you do for a "there was no problem to solve" situation? Not identified, or 'solve'?

Example: Someone reports a toll road, but the road was already marked as a toll road. Or they report a toll booth, which already has a landmark on the map. I sent a note about how Waze doesn't display toll booths and suggested he check the 'avoid toll roads' setting on his app, then marked solve.

Next question: If you mark it as solved, does the user still get your message?
Thortok2000
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

[img]https:///tdL1sG[/img][img]https:///ubk1Zx[/img]
Area Manager of Greenville, SC! ^_^

Post by Thortok2000
Will do.

Do they still get your message though? If I send a "We don't map toll booths" and then immediately hit "not identified" do they get that message or do they just get the not identified part?

I'd also like to offer my opinions for the discussion on landmarks but it seems that thread is locked. -.-
Thortok2000
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Thortok2000
Hey, I made a test report so I can more fully realize what the client sees from feedback from an editor (so I can give better editor feedback.)

When I went to comment to myself though it flagged me as the reporter (well done!) but defeats the purpose of me seeing what it looks like when an editor replies.

Could someone reply to, but not close, this test report real quick? I'll close it myself once I see what it looks like when an editor replies.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... TT&env=usa
Thortok2000
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Thortok2000
Thanks!

Alright, some feedback.

- It did not give a 'push notification' for me. Admittedly I wasn't running Waze at the time since I'm at home not driving. But the second Waze loaded I checked messages and it was there. There was basically no visual indication, in the app, that I had a pending message, before pressing the Waze icon and opening the menu and seeing it next to the messages button. (Maybe there would have been if I left Waze on for awhile? I dunno...it had enough time to detect the unread message to display so on the message button in the menu, so it would've been nice to be notified of it on load. Or better yet, 'push notification' even when I'm not running Waze so I instantly get the message. (Push notification for 'friend pickup requests' is kinda buggy the same way, it takes forever for me to get a message asking if I'm on my way to [random CDP name here].))

- The picture (on the waze app on the client) is kinda next to useless, it's zoomed in so much you can't really see. I happened to have it between two parking lot roads without names so that's probably why there were question marks instead of street names, but even then it didn't even show the full length of the segment to either side (and they were pretty small segments.) It did however give the full text of the report that I had sent and allowed me to view the entire conversation history from within the app, so that's great. It also said 'on X road' which is the closest named road, so that's sort of okay (although I wish it said 'near' instead of 'on' since that was the road behind the main road that the parking lot I was in connects to. If I wasn't familiar that X road is the one behind me I would've potentially thought it was an error.) It's just the picture that was really unhelpful.

- I got the e-mail at pretty much exactly the same as the timestamp here on the forum, so the e-mail was super quick. The notification in the client was timestamped for the same time as well, but with it not triggering a push notification since Waze wasn't running I don't know if it actually arrived at that time on my end.

- When viewing the conversation history, though, I noticed I could still see timestamps but they were for the wrong time zone. Would you consider setting this to the timezone that the report is in as a default? That would've been 8:44 PM (20:44) Nov 4 and not 01:44 Nov 5. And speaking of timestamps, in WME I can only see dates, no timestamps at all. Consider adding timestamps to WME?

- The e-mail is useful as well and I feel like probably a good way to reach reporters, but it includes a link to the map editor itself, which I have mixed feelings about. Perhaps it's showing people how to get to and use the editor a little too freely? Or perhaps people will figure out they can fix their own problems and improve the map even more? Who knows.

- Oh, and one more thing. I'm like, somewhat OCD about marking problems 'solved' or 'not identified' as quickly as possible. I like checking the map, sometimes several times a day, to clear the place of those little !'s. This whole waiting 7 days for a person to reply thing is killing me. Is there any way that we can mark something as solved or not identified, then if the user who reported it wants to they can reply and reopen it? I suggest that 'solved' locks the report from reopening (user will need to submit another if they still feel the issue needs looking into) whereas 'not identified' can be reopened if the user provides more information (preserving the entire conversation history)?

Heck, going with the whole 'reopen the not identified', now that conversations are in place, it'd be cool to shoot a second chance at all the 'not identifieds' in the last month or two, maybe longer. We can shoot them a message, flag them as not identified again to get them off the map, and maybe get some more information for some of them at least.

And going on the not identified suggestions, this one's semi-unrelated but I think it'd be good to have 'not identified' only remove the report from YOUR screen and not everyone's, with a system for how many other people should review it before it's hidden from everyone. I also think the higher the rank of reviewer, the fewer reviewers it needs, of course. But again if the reporter adds more info, it's reopened.

And that's my feedback.
Thortok2000
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Thortok2000
Well someone else earlier said that staff see the reports, even ones marked solved or not identified, like they have a history of them. It's a suggestion that if the reporter offers more information it pulls it back out of history and flags it as open again, instead of it 'blocking' the reporter from offering more information.
Thortok2000
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message