Official feedback thread - v1.3 - Schedules & Conversation

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Official feedback thread - v1.3 - Schedules & Conversati

Postby CBenson » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:44 am

Sure.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.1.0.1
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby trooster10 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:28 am

A few things I've noticed:

1. "env=usa" is required at the end of the editor URL in order to access the restrictions and conversations panels.

2. Letters and dashes are now allowed in house numbers (though not together).

3. The "Edit House Numbers" button remains clickable after making edits to the map, though making edits to house numbers after making edits to the map results in a save error and loss of edits.

4. There are more GPS points than before but not as many as before the layer was cleared, and they are still somewhat outdated. Tracks from new URs and MPs don't appear on the layer.

5. In some cases when streets intersect at a narrow angle (example - LT from Gay to Federal), the clock icon to open the restrictions panel is blocked by the U-turn arrow, and clicking it is impossible.
Last edited by trooster10 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thomas R. - Level 5 Editor
State Manager - Maryland
trooster10
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Thortok2000 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:53 am

Thanks!

Alright, some feedback.

- It did not give a 'push notification' for me. Admittedly I wasn't running Waze at the time since I'm at home not driving. But the second Waze loaded I checked messages and it was there. There was basically no visual indication, in the app, that I had a pending message, before pressing the Waze icon and opening the menu and seeing it next to the messages button. (Maybe there would have been if I left Waze on for awhile? I dunno...it had enough time to detect the unread message to display so on the message button in the menu, so it would've been nice to be notified of it on load. Or better yet, 'push notification' even when I'm not running Waze so I instantly get the message. (Push notification for 'friend pickup requests' is kinda buggy the same way, it takes forever for me to get a message asking if I'm on my way to [random CDP name here].))

- The picture (on the waze app on the client) is kinda next to useless, it's zoomed in so much you can't really see. I happened to have it between two parking lot roads without names so that's probably why there were question marks instead of street names, but even then it didn't even show the full length of the segment to either side (and they were pretty small segments.) It did however give the full text of the report that I had sent and allowed me to view the entire conversation history from within the app, so that's great. It also said 'on X road' which is the closest named road, so that's sort of okay (although I wish it said 'near' instead of 'on' since that was the road behind the main road that the parking lot I was in connects to. If I wasn't familiar that X road is the one behind me I would've potentially thought it was an error.) It's just the picture that was really unhelpful.

- I got the e-mail at pretty much exactly the same as the timestamp here on the forum, so the e-mail was super quick. The notification in the client was timestamped for the same time as well, but with it not triggering a push notification since Waze wasn't running I don't know if it actually arrived at that time on my end.

- When viewing the conversation history, though, I noticed I could still see timestamps but they were for the wrong time zone. Would you consider setting this to the timezone that the report is in as a default? That would've been 8:44 PM (20:44) Nov 4 and not 01:44 Nov 5. And speaking of timestamps, in WME I can only see dates, no timestamps at all. Consider adding timestamps to WME?

- The e-mail is useful as well and I feel like probably a good way to reach reporters, but it includes a link to the map editor itself, which I have mixed feelings about. Perhaps it's showing people how to get to and use the editor a little too freely? Or perhaps people will figure out they can fix their own problems and improve the map even more? Who knows.

- Oh, and one more thing. I'm like, somewhat OCD about marking problems 'solved' or 'not identified' as quickly as possible. I like checking the map, sometimes several times a day, to clear the place of those little !'s. This whole waiting 7 days for a person to reply thing is killing me. Is there any way that we can mark something as solved or not identified, then if the user who reported it wants to they can reply and reopen it? I suggest that 'solved' locks the report from reopening (user will need to submit another if they still feel the issue needs looking into) whereas 'not identified' can be reopened if the user provides more information (preserving the entire conversation history)?

Heck, going with the whole 'reopen the not identified', now that conversations are in place, it'd be cool to shoot a second chance at all the 'not identifieds' in the last month or two, maybe longer. We can shoot them a message, flag them as not identified again to get them off the map, and maybe get some more information for some of them at least.

And going on the not identified suggestions, this one's semi-unrelated but I think it'd be good to have 'not identified' only remove the report from YOUR screen and not everyone's, with a system for how many other people should review it before it's hidden from everyone. I also think the higher the rank of reviewer, the fewer reviewers it needs, of course. But again if the reporter adds more info, it's reopened.

And that's my feedback.
ImageImage
Area Manager of Greenville, SC! ^_^
Thortok2000
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Kuhlkatz » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:13 am

Thortok2000 wrote:- It did not give a 'push notification' for me. Admittedly I wasn't running Waze at the time since I'm at home not driving. But the second Waze loaded I checked messages and it was there

You might want to verify that "Push Notifications" is enabled / allowed in Settings>Notifications menu.
Works fine for me on Android, not sure what platform you are on.
I did see some mention of some 'trick' that needed to be done on some iOS devices when a reinstall was done to re-allow notifications, and it was basically to hold off the reinstall for about 24Hrs if I'm not mistaken. It was apparently fixed in 3.7.2 already, but here is the thread anyway.
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:43 pm

Thortok2000 wrote:- It did not give a 'push notification' for me.

I did extensive testing on the notifications and determined that push does work, but it does fail often. I used a test account to post the URs from the app so I could see what users would get exactly, and when. It seemed to send more reliably if I had clicked Permalink on the map recently. But even with that, some push notifications were just completely lost or never sent. Either way, some where never received. (Hard to know where the problem lies.)

There were times when the push didn't appear, but the message was in inbox. But there were more times that neither the push nor the inbox message was received.

At this time, you are not 100% guaranteed that the Reporter will get the push. More likely is that they will get an inbox message without notification. These is disappointing because for those users who register with a fake email address or only use facebook to connect, they will never get an email, so the push/inbox is the only way we can get messages to them.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Olestas » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:02 pm

When receiving notification about conversations - the link to editor is in old format:

See this issue in the Waze map editor https://world.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat=xxxxx
Olestas
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby karlcr9911 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:58 pm

Excited about these new features and have already used both of them a few times in the last day or so. Thanks so much for continuing to listen to the community and develop these great new editing tools.
Asst. Regional Coordinator - U.S. South Central
Global Champ / U.S. Country Manager
State Manager: Texas
iOS Beta Tester | WME Beta Tester
Image ImageImage Image
Texas wiki | Welcome wiki
karlcr9911
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Machete808 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:57 pm

Thortok2000 wrote: Oh, and one more thing. I'm like, somewhat OCD about marking problems 'solved' or 'not identified' as quickly as possible. I like checking the map, sometimes several times a day, to clear the place of those little !'s. This whole waiting 7 days for a person to reply thing is killing me. Is there any way that we can mark something as solved or not identified, then if the user who reported it wants to they can reply and reopen it? I suggest that 'solved' locks the report from reopening (user will need to submit another if they still feel the issue needs looking into) whereas 'not identified' can be reopened if the user provides more information (preserving the entire conversation history)?

Don't know about "reopening" what's been deleted -- that might be hard with a big database like this to keep deleted stuff on backup. But you might consider sending one last message through the conversations dialog a little while before you close it, including another point of contact for you. I use a junk email addy I don't care about publicizing. Or if you have a state forum, you might direct them there if they have further comments.

Anyway, the future contact point will appear in the email they get and in the app inbox (I'm going to think positively and assume the push delivery to the app will improve). I got one follow-up that way so far.
Aloha,
Vicki
Hawaii State Manager
Area manager, Los Angeles
Country manager, Thailand
Image Image
Need support?
support.google.com/waze > Popular topics > FAQs > Other > Open a ticket
Editing links:
How to handle parking lots
Machete808
State Manager
State Manager

Postby Thortok2000 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:07 pm

Well someone else earlier said that staff see the reports, even ones marked solved or not identified, like they have a history of them. It's a suggestion that if the reporter offers more information it pulls it back out of history and flags it as open again, instead of it 'blocking' the reporter from offering more information.
ImageImage
Area Manager of Greenville, SC! ^_^
Thortok2000
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Nikiburton » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:28 pm

A very good improvement!
Only one question. In my city (in spain) there are some streets where cars cannot drive except electrical cars.
It is going to be included in the restrictions this vehicles?
AM en Sevilla y alrededores, Sanlúcar de Barrameda, Isla Cristina, Villanueva de la Sierra y Villavieja de Yeltes.
Android 4.2.2 Waze 3.8.1.0
Nikiburton
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor