Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Change in editing points

Post by
UPDATE (November 25):
the first step in the process is complete:
All edits from now are credited with 3 points. The candy is withheld.
In the upcoming days we will reimburse editors who didn't take all the candies with all the missing points. After it's done we will re-enable the candy with the new parameters - 300 points per 3000 edits.
Regarding more gaming stuff for drivers - I informed the product team that there's a huge demand for this and they will check what can be done.

Hi guys,

We wanted to inform you that we're going to make a change in map edit points.
Up until now, each map edit was credited with 1.5 points.
Moreover, for each 500 edits - users were credited with a 750 point achievement candy, i.e additional 1.5 points per edit.
So overall, each edit was worth 3 points.

The change planned is to directly credit each edit with 3 points and cancel the 750 candy.

Why?
1) It seems to make more sense
2) The multi-time achievement is not consistent with other achievements in the client (all achievements are one-time achievements)
3) This achievement specifically is very buggy and many times users don't get their points for the edits.

We might replace this multi-time achievement in the future with a different one-time achievement for editors.

Thanks!
Shirli

POSTER_ID:94099

Send a message

Post by abnerw13
if my opinion counts :? .... I agree completely with davipt :D
Me and my kid want the the candy back. Even if it gives 0 points. Don't take the fun out of waze!
I love the candies...Even if it gives 0 points :mrgreen:
abnerw13
Emeritus Local Champ
Emeritus Local Champ
Send a message
Abner Weigert
A qualidade das edições tem mais valor que a quantidade.
Edições sem qualidade só geram pontos(que você pode perder).

AM - [PR] / [SC] / [AC]
CM - Brasil

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
One of the purposes of the candy bonus was to "force" editors to get out and also drive so that Waze benefits from that usage as well. If Waze doesn't feel that's necessary now, then this is fine.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
walbing wrote:this demotiva to publishers, as they do this! ...
Why? You still get the same number of points. And many people will actually get more points, because you will get them in the editor directly instead of having to get a candy while driving.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
shirlig wrote:Therefore, we will make the change in points per edit from 1.5 to 3. In addition, we will keep the multi-time editing achievement while changing its values to 1500 points for 3000 edits.
Now I'm confused. I thought the driving recurring candy was being removed because it was buggy? How can we just change the timing/value when the first statement that the awarding of the bonus candy was buggy? Won't the awarding of the 1500pt candy be just as buggy and prone to not be given to users? If you can just fix the awarding bug, just fix the current candy award so it works all the time.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
shawndoc wrote: Sorta like how they do the candies during holiday promotions, but tweaked specifically to target roads that need more speed data to help with routing.
That's what candies were originally totally about. They would be placed on out-of-the-way roads enticing drivers to get the candy over there. That, and cookie munching.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlexN-114
I like the candies :P and I would miss them. :(
AlexN-114
Send a message
best regards Alex ;)
AM Waldviertel (NÖ)/Forest quarter (Lower Austria) / CM Austria / GC
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/8/87/RWrsig.png
HiLiCi @ greasyfork.org or @ userscripts.org

Post by andrex77
robindlc wrote: a) For editors... just leave as it is, 1,5 points per edit... but candies at 1.500 points each 1.000 editions (instead of 750 points for 500 editions). Nothing changes except that candies will be just half in quantity but keeping overall value (as I understood from Shirli comments that one of the problems were that the achievement was very common... )
+1 . May be even more distance between candys, say 3000 points for 2000 editions. If I remember correctly, candys for editing was done to incentive editing over driving. So arguing now to incentive driving over editing is not coherent. At least, leave it at the same level.
robindlc wrote: b) For drivers... One of the most important goals for waze is to have as much people as possible driving with waze app on.... so, just give a candy each 100 km... maybe 100 points.... I meant we do not have to focus on people driving 5.000 miles... we have to focus on regular people..
I think the best incentive for drivers is to have good maps, and good traffic information, but after that, giving little achivements like this is rewarding. So +1
robindlc wrote: c) for roads nobody has driven there are the road munching... but maybe would be more efective to put also some candies...
+1
andrex77
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Andrés
CM: Argentina - AM: Rosario
ex-coordinador y ex-global champ
Argentina: Wiki - Facebook - G+ - Comunidad G+ - Twitter

https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/4/46/W ... 00k_6c.png

Post by AndyPoms
iainhouse wrote:I think it's fair to say that there was a strong opinion wanting to see something added for drivers. I realise most of us here fall into the "editors" more than the "drivers" camp, but it's unfair to be giving editors more points whilst we still do nothing for the drivers who contribute to Waze.
I think it would be a good idea to have more bonus candies for drivers. There used to be VIP Waze Icons (that jumped) for certain things. Maybe something like an additional 500 points for every 5000 miles driven. Or an additional 50 points for every 100 reports you made that got at least one "thumbs up" (to encourage valid reports and not just users spamming the reporting system to make 100 reports to get points).
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by antigerme
Shirli,

Maybe the better is post this update on "Official announcements". :mrgreen:
antigerme
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
https://sites.google.com/a/felicio.com. ... brazil.png AM - Salvador/L. de Freitas
Looking for a job
Employer: "We need someone responsible for the job."
Candidate: "Sir your search ends here! In my previous job whenever something went wrong, everybody said I was responsible."
* não me responsabilizo por danos em sua vista