The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Change in editing points

Post by shirlig
UPDATE (November 25):
the first step in the process is complete:
All edits from now are credited with 3 points. The candy is withheld.
In the upcoming days we will reimburse editors who didn't take all the candies with all the missing points. After it's done we will re-enable the candy with the new parameters - 300 points per 3000 edits.
Regarding more gaming stuff for drivers - I informed the product team that there's a huge demand for this and they will check what can be done.

Hi guys,

We wanted to inform you that we're going to make a change in map edit points.
Up until now, each map edit was credited with 1.5 points.
Moreover, for each 500 edits - users were credited with a 750 point achievement candy, i.e additional 1.5 points per edit.
So overall, each edit was worth 3 points.

The change planned is to directly credit each edit with 3 points and cancel the 750 candy.

Why?
1) It seems to make more sense
2) The multi-time achievement is not consistent with other achievements in the client (all achievements are one-time achievements)
3) This achievement specifically is very buggy and many times users don't get their points for the edits.

We might replace this multi-time achievement in the future with a different one-time achievement for editors.

Thanks!
Shirli
shirlig

POSTER_ID:94099

Send a message

Post by seriousarsonist
I agree with davipt completely on that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
seriousarsonist
Send a message

Post by Scruffy151
I have to agree with the earlier post. We need more repeating candies not less.
Scruffy151
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by robindlc
After reading all this, a few suggestions...

a) For editors... just leave as it is, 1,5 points per edit... but candies at 1.500 points each 1.000 editions (instead of 750 points for 500 editions). Nothing changes except that candies will be just half in quantity but keeping overall value (as I understood from Shirli comments that one of the problems were that the achievement was very common... )

b) For drivers... One of the most important goals for waze is to have as much people as possible driving with waze app on.... so, just give a candy each 100 km... maybe 100 points.... I meant we do not have to focus on people driving 5.000 miles... we have to focus on regular people..

c) for roads nobody has driven there are the road munching... but maybe would be more efective to put also some candies...

Just one more idea :roll:
robindlc
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by Riamus
There are valid reasons for editing that can affect large numbers of segments in an area. If it's a regular editor, they likely have a good reason for it. Waze can easily track what a user does and can ban anyone found to be doing things just to get points. And ranks are necessary for helping to lock down areas and limit access to higher level editors on important roads as well as other things. I don't think there are as many people trying to get points by doing things that aren't good as some people think.

If you really feel someone is doing something they shouldn't, just let your regional coordinator know who it is and they'll look into it. If necessary, they'll let Waze know.
Riamus
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Previously Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S21+.

Post by Riamus
As you really start to get into editing, you'll find a LOT of different errors in the map that need fixed that you aren't yet noticing. Many of these can easily be fixed without seeing the area or knowing anything about it. The editors who are most apt to have a ton of edits every day are the ones who are least likely to be bringing in Google Map errors. Usually, those come from new editors, though not always. I can easily do over 1000 edits per day, though I don't always have time for that. Of course, I'm mostly editing in areas that have had just about nothing done to them. Fixing soft turns and reverse connections and U-turns in an area where there are a lot of those can very quickly rack up points. I've had times where just about every node needed fixed. Those fixes end up giving you at least a few points on most nodes and take only a second to fix. Just be careful not to "fix" a valid U-turn (see the Wiki regarding what U-turns are valid). And that's just one item. When you start, it may seem like there isn't much to do on the map and you'll wonder how to get very many points. It took me maybe a week or two for my first 1000 edits. Now I've managed on some days to get around 3000-4000 when I have some time to really work on the map. I usually only do large numbers of edits once or twice a week, though. Others here do large numbers of edits almost every day.
Riamus
Send a message

Post by Riamus
Waze needs such data, however.
Riamus
Send a message

Post by Riamus
robindlc wrote:c) for roads nobody has driven there are the road munching... but maybe would be more efective to put also some candies...
Yes, we have munching for some of these, but what about roads that have been driven only a few times in years? They aren't going to show up for munching, but they do need more data. This is where it would be good to add candies for driving these less traveled roads. I guess that was done in the past, but I've never seen it, so I don't think it's still being done.
Riamus
Send a message

Post by Riamus
shawndoc wrote:This is probably an idea for a different thread, but as long as we are monkeying with the candies system, I'd like to see them add more candies for non-editing drivers to prompt people to take less traveled streets. Sorta like how they do the candies during holiday promotions, but tweaked specifically to target roads that need more speed data to help with routing.
Agreed. More candies/achievements in general, but specifically ones for roads that need data would be good. The downside to that, is that people in cities may not have many chances to get those points while those in rural areas probably can get points on almost every road simply due to fewer Waze users in the area. Unless it's based on a percentage compared to the average amount of data in the area. In that case, every area would have places where you can get points.
Riamus
Send a message

Post by Riamus
milkyway35 wrote:Maybe a stupid comment ;)

but Why not getting points only with road candies ? and not directly by editing.

You edit, you collect candies. but you need to drive to get theses candies which are the only one that give you points.

(It was just a though)
That would work for most editors assuming the current candy bug is fixed, but it wouldn't really work all that well for the hardcore editors. They are unlikely to ever drive anywhere near enough to get all of their points. Even I don't always get all of my candies within my drive to/from work. I don't do a lot of editing every single day though, so I catch back up eventually. But for someone who edits a lot almost every day, they'll just continue to stack candies and never get the points. Bad enough now when they end up only getting about half of their points, but worse if that's the only way to get points.

Besides, when you do that, you devalue editing. After all, you're saying that editors only deserve points if they also drive. That really isn't fair to them. Let's say you have a stay at home parent who edits at home, but never really goes anywhere - perhaps the spouse does the shopping and such. That person wouldn't get any points. That just doesn't seem right to me.

We already get points for driving. I don't think we need to require driving to get points. However, I do think we need to keep the candies for editing and add more for driving as well. The editing candies don't necessarily have to award points. They can just be a visible and audible "thank you" for editing. I don't know. I think we should keep them, but I don't think it makes sense to get editing points automatically and leave driving points for driving.
Riamus
Send a message