The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Interstates/Freeways and Cities

Post by imsaguy
How are people handling freeways and labeling their municipalities? Should I be specifically breaking a freeway into segments along municipality lines?
imsaguy

POSTER_ID:969859

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
As much as possible, with any type of road, especially the highways and freeways, I set their municipalities as accurately as I can. Sometimes, there is guesswork involved. In these cases, I use existing surrounding streets as a guide to know where the city limits are, and I also look for density of streets to determine where the most likely edge of the city would be. I then usually pick a street which intersects a highway to be the point at which I make sure the city name is entered or cleared out. For freeways, I do usually end up having to add a junction where the limit would be.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by banished
If the map overlays displayed municipal borders then it would be an easy matter to do what you suggest...but they don't, so I don't worry about it. I once tried to do it using http://www.usnaviguide.com/zip.htm, but found it far too time consuming.

banished
http://www.tinyurl.com/wazebanished
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
GC, ARC, Veteran, CISSP, MCP

Post by imsaguy
One of my biggest pet peeves is when a road has so many junctions, so I find myself spending a large amount of time removing junctions. Sometimes a 1 mile stretch of road will switch back and forth between 2 cities because it is the border and I find myself conflicted as to which it should be labelled as or if it should just be blank.
imsaguy
Send a message

Post by WeeeZer14
Agreed, I do apply a city name to Interstates if one is available. In rural areas, the interstate may be the only road around so it really helps to define the geometry of the city on the client maps.

If a road dips between two municipalities along a border, it is an annoying pain for sure, but I'd think that (if this theoretical road isn't a freeway) the addresses of the businesses and residences along the road depend on having the right information.
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator