Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Driving directions don't start where user actually is

Post by CookeCity
I've tried looking at the UR at this location:

https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-76.64 ... TT&env=usa

The user complains that when they start a route "My Car Icon Shows Up On Alston Road Correctly, Just The DirectionS/Route Start On Landon Road." This evidently happens every time. Granted this is a small item, but I'm stumped as to what could be causing it. If his car Icon is on Alston, and Alston is a regular Street just like Landon, why would the route start on Landon?
CookeCity

POSTER_ID:16080936

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CBenson wrote:Waze does not distinguish well between segments that connect the same two junctions. If you insert an extra junction on Altson or Landon between the two common junctions, I believe this problem will be solved.
I would give this a try.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by CBenson
Waze does not distinguish well between segments that connect the same two junctions. If you insert an extra junction on Altson or Landon between the two common junctions, I believe this problem will be solved.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
CookeCity wrote:Instead, it puts his Waze "car icon" at one place, but initiates the route coming from a *different* road than the one Waze says he is on. So effectively it is telling him he is a two places at once.
This is exactly the problem when two junctions are connected by multiple segments. Waze doesn't always distinguish properly between the multiple segments. So for one purpose waze indicates one of the segments and for another purpose waze indicates a different segment.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CookeCity
I'll give your suggestion a try. Please note though that the issue isn't that Waze is putting him at the wrong location (GPS error is what I originally thought). Instead, it puts his Waze "car icon" at one place, but initiates the route coming from a *different* road than the one Waze says he is on. So effectively it is telling him he is a two places at once.
CookeCity
Send a message

Post by davidg666
CookeCity wrote:I've tried looking at the UR at this location:

https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-76.64 ... TT&env=usa

The user complains that when they start a route "My Car Icon Shows Up On Alston Road Correctly, Just The DirectionS/Route Start On Landon Road." This evidently happens every time. Granted this is a small item, but I'm stumped as to what could be causing it. If his car Icon is on Alston, and Alston is a regular Street just like Landon, why would the route start on Landon?
Possibly the user who is reporting this is starting Waze somewhere without a good view of the sky and without a good GPS signal.

I park overnight in a basement car park and consequently not much view of the sky - but just about have a mobile phone connection. When I start Waze it often thinks I'm some distance away - up to 500m or so - and starts routing me from that location. When I come out into the open air, it then gets a proper GPS lock and reroutes me according to my true location.

You could ask the user if they're starting Waze while inside a basement car park - or even in a domestic garage that might not have a good view of the sky for the GPS position to work accurately.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by HandofMadness
I have this happen periodically to me when using Waze. Never found a rhyme or reason for it, guessing it has something to do with the app or routing server code, rather than a "map error".
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Thortok2000
Agreed, Alston is a loop, in order for a loop to function correctly it needs an 'unnecessary' junction, typically at the halfway point of the loop or one of the corners. Make Alston two segments instead of one, and that will probably fix the problem.

Loops without that unnecessary junction sometimes exist, especially if someone comes and deletes the junction later, or from the original import of the map. But if you were to attempt to make one yourself, one end of the segment would not connect, you'd have to do it in two segments or it wouldn't have a junction on both ends.

I'd say easiest way to make a junction would be to draw a fake road that intersects with Alston where you want the junction to be, then delete that segment.
Thortok2000
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

[img]https:///tdL1sG[/img][img]https:///ubk1Zx[/img]
Area Manager of Greenville, SC! ^_^