Another puzzler where Waze overthinks the left turn

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Another puzzler where Waze overthinks the left turn

Postby ponzu » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:57 pm

I have fielded quite a few URs such as this lately

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... 1,73238249

Just in case it gets closed, the reporter says "We had to turn left and it was suggesting to do a right turn and then a U turn instead. So I imagine there is a left turn allowance missing there."

I tested the route in Live Map and indeed Waze does what the Reporter says. I highlighted the cumbersome route Waze suggests. There are no turn restrictions that I can see.

Usually, I find -- and I tell the reporters this -- that Waze suggests the cumbersome route at certain times, presumably the rush hour. This, I tell the reporters, is becasue Waze has calculated that the left turn takes too long at certain times so the longer route is faster, and that it's up to the Wazer to drive the Waze-suggested route and "teach" Waze that it does not work.

Only in this case Waze gives this route at absolutely all times of the day. How can this be?

Is it because of a low sample size on a little-travelled route? Like, say, one Wazer made this turn in the past, and stood at the intersection for 5 minutes checking his email? Could Waze be that easily influenced?

If my guess is correct, should I try deleting the segment leading out of the parking lot and recreating it in order to clear the skewed stats?
Rank 2 editor, Orange County, California
ponzu

Re: Another puzzler where Waze overthinks the left turn

Postby HandofMadness » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:42 am

Hi Ponzu, there is an issue with Waze on left turns that tend to get backed up or have a long light, that Waze will prefer to make a right and a U or a Straight, U, then right rather than wait to turn left. If you search the forum, you should see several threads about this.

However ----- That doesn't appear to be the case here. With the above reason, you can test in the livemap and try changing the times. You should only see the wonky routing during certain times. This is doing wonky routing 24/7 per the livemap.

Two possibilities:
1. The turn was disallowed, and another editor already re-enabled the turn, however it has not yet gone live.
2. I notice the middle segment between both lanes of Laguna Canyon Rd is set as parking lot road. While that shouldn't cause this problem, maybe it is.
CM: Thailand CM: USA
[ img ]
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby HandofMadness » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:47 am

Just a quick add; Here's a link to one of the previous discussions about Waze wanting to do a right then a U rather than wait to turn left.
https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 7&start=10

Again, I don't think this is what is happening in the above link, but is the likely culprit most of the time when you see this behavior.
[ img ]
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby ponzu » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:48 am

1. If another user enabled a turn recently, would it not be reflected in the timestamp of one of the segments involved? There are only two; they are timestamped Aug 13. One other is timestamped Oct 3.
2. I think it is a typical situation and I agree that it should not cause the problem.

I guess we are not closer to the answer.

I can try changing the middle segment to street and see if routing changes after it is published.

What to you think about my hypothesis, though?
ponzu

Postby HandofMadness » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:08 am

No, there's no time stamp for changing a turn restriction, unless you are changing a soft turn into a hard turn.

At this point, I don't think you need to delete anything and redraw. Since this is a parking lot turn, its not too big of deal if its not working. I'd test again once the tiles update through today to see if it still has this problem. If still a problem, then I'd suggest taking it one change at a time until you fix it. Next step would probably be turn the middle segment to road.
[ img ]
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby ponzu » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:17 am

I agree that fixing this particular intersection is not a big deal. But understanding how Waze thinks is, sort of :)

Also, I tested if the timestamp on a segment changes when I change a turn restriction from it and found that it does. Could be a new thing.
ponzu

Postby CBenson » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:22 am

I was just playing around there trying things out and got this route:
dogleg.png
(147.78 KiB) Downloaded 384 times
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby ponzu » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:27 am

CBenson, I clicked your link and got a different route, also a roundabout one.

To be sure, this a different route nearby from the initial UR and discussion.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
(78.43 KiB) Downloaded 375 times
ponzu

Postby ponzu » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:35 am

CBenson, I clicked your link again and got the same route you captured.
ponzu

Postby ponzu » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:39 am

CBenson, I think you are on to something (and shawndoc was before you). What the two intersections have in common is that they are Parking Lot Roads. At the very least Pasteur should be a Street, but I changed both to Street to see if routing improves after the changes are published.

If this is really the cause, then it's a BIG takeaway for me.
ponzu

Next

Return to Waze Map Editor