The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Editing just too slow

Post by rcs
Sorry fellow wazers, but editing the map with the browser based editor is just too painful. I started editing in hopes that it would be improved but every time I come back to try it again, it is even slower than it was before.

The cartouche is great for someone just starting out or to make a quick edit here and there, but there needs to be a standalone client for the hardcore editors out there. Some of us have fixed expressways and major roads for entire cities and could have done several times more work if we didn't spend most of the time waiting for pages to finish loading (pages which contain 99.9% cacheable content). These people are the reasons why waze can give its users a half way decent route.

In my area, the big fun stuff is complete. All of the interchanges and major roads are pretty much complete. Now what is left is the tedious busywork getting subdivisions worked out, fixing turn restrictions, splitting roads in to 2 oneways, etc.... The editor makes these tasks even more tedious.

So I am going to step back until things change, if ever. I'll still use waze for navigation, but I am no longer going to be editing much if any at all. Hopefully, there will be more options in the future.

12672 edits and holding.
rcs

POSTER_ID:16456

Send a message
Im in ur city, editing ur roadz!
City of Chicago and NW, W & SW Chicago Burbs Area Manager
Samsung Epic 4g - Waze 2.0

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I agree it is pretty slow at times. But it has definitely improved over the last two weeks. There are certain times when it seems to get stuck and I cannot figure out why. I just click the permalink and try again.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by danbe420
My 2¢: Been trying to do some edits today and seems like the servers are being super slow. The road layer is taking forever to load after each edit, and some edits are also taking a long time to submit.

Hopefully this is just temporary. I have a TON of edits to do on the north shore of Long Island. :|
danbe420
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
It has its moments sure but i don't find it anywhere near as frustrating as you make out when it's functioning well! I've completed motorways, rural and urban projects and stand at over 33k edits!
Perhaps it's a world vs NA server issue?

Anyway, hope you can't stay away too long! ;-)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by harling
rcs wrote:Sorry fellow wazers, but editing the map with the browser based editor is just too painful... there needs to be a standalone client for the hardcore editors out there. Some of us have fixed expressways and major roads for entire cities and could have done several times more work if we didn't spend most of the time waiting for pages to finish loading... These people are the reasons why waze can give its users a half way decent route.
Hear, hear. I think Cartouche is an excellent tool--much better than editing lists of GPS pairs!--but it's true that I spend far more time waiting than actually editing.
rcs wrote:In my area, the big fun stuff is complete. All of the interchanges and major roads are pretty much complete...So I am going to step back until things change, if ever. I'll still use waze for navigation, but I am no longer going to be editing much if any at all...12672 edits and holding.
FWIW, I passed 10K edits some time over the past couple days. I'm not quite ready to give up, but I feel your pain.
rcs wrote:"Im in ur city, editing ur roadz!"
ROFL!!!! I hope you don't mind if I shamelessly steal that.
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by harling
unwallflower wrote:Man, are you guys really having that many problems?
Yup. :-p
unwallflower wrote:...the majority of the time I really don't have to wait that long... I rarely find cartouche to be so slow that I have to stop. When it starts lagging, I refresh and it speeds up again. I don't know. I guess maybe I'm just lucky.
When I have to wait 30+ seconds for the Roads layer to redraw after every edit, it gets old fast. This isn't a slow/unreliable connection, I get a consistent 20/6 Mbps to NYC. Sometimes a browser refresh helps, and sometimes it just restarts the 30+ second countdown.

I do, literally, spend far more time waiting for the refresh between edits, than I do actually editing. I could be ~4x more productive, at a minimum.

Dan <><
harling
Send a message

Post by harling
unwallflower wrote:It is slow today. It WOULD happen that after I post that I would have to eat my words. :lol: In general, though, what I posted earlier holds true for me. I typically do not experience terrible wait times. Today is a different story entirely.
Maybe you're closer to the server farm? All it takes is one or two overloaded NAPs along the way, to turn a 120ms round-trip across the continent into a two-minute epic failure of dropped packets and retries...
harling
Send a message

Post by harling
unwallflower wrote:While editing today, I realized one reason why I don't feel like I experience the lag that many people do. I often don't even wait for the road layer to load before I perform my next edit (as long as it's not changing geometry)...
I do that too when I can--but when that little spinning circle sits there for the 30+ seconds too before reacting, it doesn't help. Whatever it's waIting for, seems to be blocking even the selection operation. Extremely frustrating.
harling
Send a message

Post by rcs
Maybe it is my time of day when I do edits, I don't know. I usually edit between 10pm-12am CST.

There is a limit to what javascript can do. A standalone app would be easier to develop (1 or 2 platforms, not 3-4 browsers on multiple platforms) and may actually be an easier load on the servers if the content could be cached more efficiently.

I love editing roads. I turn on some music and just melt in to my chair. I hate waiting though and it seems I spend 90% of my time waiting for pages to load. Then you have to use Chrome for some of the map error filters and so on... A lot more people will edit if it was easy and less laggy. I would imagine that it is a turn off to all but the hardcore bunch.

and no problem taking my quote Harling :)
rcs
Send a message
Im in ur city, editing ur roadz!
City of Chicago and NW, W & SW Chicago Burbs Area Manager
Samsung Epic 4g - Waze 2.0

Post by skumar69
Well, as the moment of writing, I went to cartouche to do some editing before my wife wakes up..and since last 10 minutes, my Cartouche is still trying to load any Map roads!! I have turned off all other layers including Aerial :p

Not the best experience.
skumar69
Send a message
[img]https:///icPqLq[/img]