The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Names of places that are far, far away shows up in map

Post by phoenixsvj
The map in my client throws up names of places that are pretty far away (completely out of the area shown in the screen), and sometimes in the wrong direction too (I am travelling away, but it is shown as I am travelling towards). Example, Pondicherry shows up after Thiruvanmiyur when I am travelling north - while it is actually about 160 KM south of Thiruvanmiyur. Kancheepuram is shown in the north west of Thiruvanmiyur, while it is west/south-west.

All this is in India / Tamil Nadu (State) / Chennai (City).
phoenixsvj

POSTER_ID:899740

Send a message

Post by alphatauri
I've just read this topic. I spotted something similar to the problem you're referring to. I think it's got a lot to do with something I called "grey area bug" and there's an ongoing discussion at http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7336
Besides, the waze client seems to automatically insert names into new roads that haven't been edited yet. In Poland I usually get everything attributed as "Kurów" - bizzare! New roads before edit should be without any name. If this happens the client presumes that the whole country/region is just one big city!!! Definitely, tech help needed here.
alphatauri
Send a message

Post by phoenixsvj
RallyChris wrote:It helps if you provide a permalink when looking at map issues.

The design is that city boundaries are defined by the segments that have that city name assigned to them.

I've seen two ways that things go wrong with this

1) Someone accidentally assigns the wrong city name to a road segment we can get cities in the wrong area.
2) Square geometry areas that have no road segments that have a city name assigned to them.

For #1 unfortunately at our level there isn't tools (yet?) to help us ferret out this kinds of issues. At this point you would have to look in the area of the phantom city and find the segments missed labeled.

For #2 waze support has said that this is something they can fix in the backend.
Is Permalinking possible on the client? I have seen this only on the device as of now, will see if I get it in the Live Map too.

Also wanted to add that the wrong name shows up in grey letters, and my map scheme is Map Editors.
phoenixsvj
Send a message

Post by RallyChris
It helps if you provide a permalink when looking at map issues.

The design is that city boundaries are defined by the segments that have that city name assigned to them.

I've seen two ways that things go wrong with this

1) Someone accidentally assigns the wrong city name to a road segment we can get cities in the wrong area.
2) Square geometry areas that have no road segments that have a city name assigned to them.

For #1 unfortunately at our level there isn't tools (yet?) to help us ferret out this kinds of issues. At this point you would have to look in the area of the phantom city and find the segments missed labeled.

For #2 waze support has said that this is something they can fix in the backend.
RallyChris
Send a message
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png

Post by RallyChris
If the city boundaries are squarish, and also seem to change size based on zoom level, then you are seeing issue #2, that I reported in another post and support said they could fix.
RallyChris
Send a message
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png