The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Splitting Roads

Post by HavanaDay
Ok fellow wazers. Besides what type of road a road is this has got to be the second most ask question about editing roads. So I found a decent intersection here that maybe we can discuss the pros and cons of when to split roads or not.

Superpermalink:
http://www.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=5&l ... FFFFFFTTTT

It is my hope to come to some sort of guidelines (other than personal preference) about when to split roads or not.

There are two roads in this link Billy Graham Pkwy and W Tyvola Rd

So the question becomes:
Split both, Split one or the other, or Split neither?

Some notes, I personally have not cleaned up any of the map problem errors that are in this area. There are very few errors surronding this area. The only editing I have done so far to this intersection is to change W Tyvola Rd to a primary with separating line and remove a few excess junctions.

My personal opinion on these two roads:
Billy Graham Pkwy - Should be split into two roads. The median is wide and the gps points support a separate road. But with no map merger errors I question why I should split it.

Tyvola Rd - It seems that this road does support splitting into two roads. The gps points are clearly seperated. The road is 5 lanes across, but the middle lane is a turn lane which can be handle by either a separated road or non-separated road. If you follow this road to the south/east it then becomes a divided road with a median which can further complicate the decision process.

I look forward to the discussion.
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager

POSTER_ID:723963

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Tyvola Rd: No split. It is partially separating-line roadway for only a short distance on either side of Billy Graham. Yes, 5 lines is wide, but not reason enough to split IMO. It makes intersections way more work than they need to be while adding little value to drivers.

Billy Graham Pkwy: Split it. That median is wide enough to warrant 2 one-way roads.

Intersection evidence:
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
argash wrote:Let me add my troubles with this issue. Right now I have been working on Anderson Mill Rd as seen here. If you follow it west or east you will see that it becomes a divided road but here at this intersection the median goes away. (Note that the east side does have a small median right at the intersection. Now right now there's just not a lot of GPS data to tell if I should split it.
Based on the visual, I would not split it in the center section. Even the "separating line" option may be too much because that little curb has so many gaps in it. But, it would make sense to mark it as having a separating line in the center section, and not split it until is has the larger median, such as it is to the east and west.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by argash
Let me add my troubles with this issue. Right now I have been working on Anderson Mill Rd as seen here. If you follow it west or east you will see that it becomes a divided road but here at this intersection the median goes away. (Note that the east side does have a small median right at the intersection. Now right now there's just not a lot of GPS data to tell if I should split it.
argash
Send a message

Post by argash
Here's an example where I am splitting a road that doesn't have a physical median as the GPS points seem to justify it.
argash
Send a message

Post by HavanaDay
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
argash wrote:Let me add my troubles with this issue. Right now I have been working on Anderson Mill Rd as seen here.
Based on the visual, I would not split it in the center section. Even the "separating line" option may be too much because that little curb has so many gaps in it. But, it would make sense to mark it as having a separating line in the center section, and not split it until is has the larger median, such as it is to the east and west.
I would not split that road or put in a separating line because of the left turn lane in the middle. My understanding of the separating line means that you wouldn't have access to the businesses on the left (I.e. you would have to make a u-turn at a junction to get there). I believe I just gave the same reasoning as AlanOftheBerg but wanted to use the left turn lane in the middle as the example.
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by unwallflower
I agree with Alan.

I think that someone could make a convincing argument for NOT splitting Billy Graham, as well. It's one of those ones that seems *almost* on the edge, to me. I would split it. But it also wouldn't be the end of the world if it wasn't.
unwallflower
Send a message