The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Feature-Request : Allow USER to post OpenSource map !

Post by toxic0
Hello,

I understand that waze need to get money and intends to sell the maps for that. But as a user, I refuse to use waze until _my_ participation is shared with the community under an open license.

I mean, each user should have a little checkbox "have waze post your maps to OpenStreetMap when using waze" that he can choose to check or not.

I'd realy like to use your community too, maybe even see the upcoming adds on the virtual roads, but I'd like to make sure that I'm giving to OpenStreetMap at the same time, otherwise I'm just gonna wait until OpenStreetMap gets an app doing less but at least allowing me to contribute to the opensource community.

So It's pretty easy, just add this checkbox and actually post the roads builded by the users having this checkbox to OpenStreetMap.

Regarding your buisness model, this isn't harmful since it's only on user request, I'd even pay for that functionality (one-time payment please...) !
And your maps will still be "better" than OSM since not all users have the checkbox active...

Let me know about any similar feature !
toxic0

POSTER_ID:1148091

Send a message

Post by fvwazing
If it is not too much of a hassle to you: in Cartouche, from the "Archive"-window, you can export your rides into the kml-format - which then could be imported into OSM. The other way round is a strict nono...
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1