The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

What to do when a section of the map is just totally wrong?

Post by pmrowley
There is a section of the map, near where I live, that is just completely wrong. There's no aerial picture for the zone, so I would assume that the roads were all generated by Waze. The problem is, whoever generated the roads has a very inaccurate GPS, and everything is just flat-out wrong. When I'm sitting at home, Waze is showing me on a road over 1000 feet away. Roads are shown where they don't exist, and junctions are completely screwed up. There are sections of the map that are displaced 1000 feet to the south, although the general geometry of the section is correct, just in the wrong place. Adjusting the geometry of each of these roads, in order to move them into their correct position and orientation, would take hours and hours, not to mention doing about 100 GPS location fixes in order to put those points on the map. I currently just tell everyone not to use Waze to navigate to my house, because it will get them totally lost.

Is there an easy way to deal with this, other than deleting and rebuilding everything? I understand that this is supposed to be a community project, but I cannot spend hours fixing a map that every other GPS and map provider is accurate on. I just don't have the time to spare.

TIA,
-P
pmrowley

POSTER_ID:1161011

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
stiab3 wrote:My area has many missing roads, with no GPS tracks. I don't think we have many users, as most of the GPS tracks I see on some roads are mine.
Well, get to recording new roads from the client! I've been seeing my recorded roads appear after less than 24hrs in cartouche.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by leocylau
Can we send email to alpha@waze.com for help?
pmrowley, you are not lonely. I find similar problem and took ages to correct the map.
leocylau
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 3
Send a message
UK WikiUK Forum

'For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.' 1 Cor. 10:33b

GC•Newcastle upon Tyne AM•HK CM•Localisation Coordinator

Post by leocylau
also we can encourage more ppl to use waze and to be area manager to share the workload.
sadly not many wazers around my area recent. anyway, be patient.
also we have to be patient on the updated UK map. see the link http://world.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6567
leocylau
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
UK WikiUK Forum

'For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.' 1 Cor. 10:33b

Post by leocylau
invite your neighbours and friends to use waze ;)
leocylau
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
UK WikiUK Forum

Post by leocylau
If we live in big city like London, Paris or NY, the map is ok. Sadly it is really messy in small towns and there is delay on waze team to update the UK map. I also took few months to tidy up the maps around where I live and work. Anyway, waze still has some interesting function as a community app.
leocylau
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
UK WikiUK Forum

Post by leocylau
It's true there are many inactivity AM around. You know all AMs are volunteers.
I believe you are already one of the AMs. Just do our best and make waze worth.
As your signature....still a long waze to go ;)
leocylau
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
UK WikiUK Forum

Post by obsolete29
I get an enormous sense of satisfaction when I plot a route using waze and for the first time, it picks the right route with no funky turns directly because of work I did editing the map.

If you don't have the time to fix the problems or that type of work just doesn't appeal to you then I'm not sure what else to say or do that hasn't already been said. I personally would request to be area manager, break the work up into manageable chunks and slowly chip away at it. What's the best way to eat an elephant? One bite at a time. ;)
obsolete29
Send a message
Area Manager : Tennessee, US
Wiki: Waze FAQ| Map Editing | Map Editing Best Practices
twitter: obsolete29

Post by RallyChris
Well you kinda hit the nail on the head.

This is a community based map product. The product is free to us, but paid for by the data we provide. One of these data points is map correction.

Based on your description you are dealing with inaccurate/bad merge of the tiger base maps from the government source. Unfortunately stale data or issues with trying to stitch the data together happens. It's a blessing and a curse. The people with base maps have to clean up what is wrong with them. The people that don't have to make clean stuff up from scratch.

With this business model, there isn't a way to pay for "cleaner" map data, as then Waze can't sell updates sourced from this commercial source.

If you don't have the time to make the corrections, the only thing you can do is mark the area with update requests, and hope that someone else will.
RallyChris
Send a message
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png

Post by stiab3
I'm going to feel mighty special the first time waze gives me a route to work.
But I can't see it happening any time soon.

My area has many missing roads, with no GPS tracks. I don't think we have many users, as most of the GPS tracks I see on some roads are mine.

s3
stiab3
Send a message
. . . still a long waze to go.
Area Manager - South Lakeland