Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Can we talk about railroads?

Post by unwallflower
There is a user in my area that keeps recording a long railroad that runs along the coast.

While I see the point behind having railroads, there isn't really any place for them in the application right now. Waze posted a while back that they were in the process of deleting all railroads from the system... so I feel like if Waze doesn't think that railroads have a place in their app, then there's no point in trying to add them right now.

But I don't know. San Diego isn't exactly full of railroads so I've never had to deal with this situation before... so I turn to you guys. What is your opinion on having railroads on the Waze maps?
unwallflower

POSTER_ID:319795

Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
I believe they should be there for reasons discussed before, ie mainly as a reference point, but they should act like landmarks in that the road infrastructure cannot actually connect to it in any way!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by harling
unwallflower wrote:While I see the point behind having railroads, there isn't really any place for them in the application right now. Waze posted a while back that they were in the process of deleting all railroads from the system... so I feel like if Waze doesn't think that railroads have a place in their app, then there's no point in trying to add them right now.

...What is your opinion on having railroads on the Waze maps?
I think railroad tracks make for good landmarks, even if they're not navigable. Waze would have to prohibit junctions with roads to prevent navigation problems, and represent them on the client maps using something distinctive, like a narrow line with crosshatches. Other than that, I don't see them requiring any special handling in order to work & play well with the rest of the map.
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by HavanaDay
In the areas I have been editing, if it already exists, I just change them to railroads and make any appropriate fixes that need to be done. My feeling is if they are there and/or someone took the time to put them in I see no harm. It is sort of like parking lot roads for me. Too many bigger editing needs to be done to draw them in but if someone else took the time to put them in I will make sure they are labeled correctly and connected correctly and other such things.
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by jondrush
I don't see any problem with leaving it on the map with a type as railroad. Just put it on level 10 so no intersections are made by the servers by accident.

I'm still waiting for the Railroad intersections with roads to be globally removed . . .
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message