The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Switch Road Between Junctions

Post by jondrush
Note: edited to reflect current information

I don't know if this is new, or I've just missed it. It is not mentioned in the Wiki that I have found.

If you select a road and hold down the ctrl key and select one of its junctions, then keep holding the ctrl key down and select a second junction, you get the option in the edit panel to move the end of the road to the other junction. Saves some editing time where road connections are all messed up.

It looks like at this time you are only permitted to use this option if you have driven through the area. It appears that Area Manager status alone does not give you permission to move the road end.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:13337

Send a message
Last edited by jondrush on Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by harling
OscarC wrote:This feature, which I learned about fairly recently, is one of the most productive ones I've learned about... I haven't had a problem using it anywhere, it's always worked for me whether I've driven over the area or not. Interesting...
I see about a 10% success rate. The rest of the time it's "No permission" even within my own area.
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by jondrush
Maybe there is a reason it is undocumented, it doesn't work all the time. I'll try to update the Wiki this weekend.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
I get a mixed bag since I discovered it. For one, it doesn't seem to work if the directionality of the roads is screwy. So a couple of times I've got it to work after I made the road connections so they would be accurate after the move. The other thing I think I've noticed is I am more successful with it if I have driven through that area, in other words, it looks like being AM is not enough permissions to make the road move. But this is just a guess, because I can't remember everywhere I've driven in the last 16 months.

(Still gotta add this to the Wiki . . . get around to it some day . . .) ;)
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
Yep, that fall back always works in my AM zones. I'll update my first post to show the current status.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
Finally got this on the Wiki. I was playing around with this last night and it appears that connectivity does not matter, so I will eliminate that from my first post.

Comments and corrections welcome.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by mapcat
CBenson wrote:I have found this feature to be very helpful since Jondrush brought it to our attention. However, recently I have been getting the "no permissions" failure when trying to use it. Has anyone figured out a consistent reason for why it works sometimes and doesn't other times?
Good to know I'm not the only one unable to use this anymore. I emailed alpha about it a few days ago and they said it was "an error", but that's all they've said so far. Hope it gets fixed soon.
mapcat
Send a message
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1

Post by mapcat
Good call, JonD.

This has to be a bug, though, since we're still allowed to perform the same operation the long way (disconnect, change geometry, connect) in those areas.
mapcat
Send a message
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1

Post by NBlade
That's definitely worth documenting...! I could also have used it lots of times before... good job discovering that :D
NBlade
Send a message

Post by obsolete29
I just wanted to comment that I've been using this feature a good bit over the last few days. Pretty useful, thanks!
obsolete29
Send a message
Area Manager : Tennessee, US
Wiki: Waze FAQ| Map Editing | Map Editing Best Practices
twitter: obsolete29