The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by unwallflower
HavanaDay wrote:
unwallflower wrote: There have been a few discussions about road types, but I don't think we have come to a consensus. I think that the only real conclusion we can reach is that it's impossible to make rigid rules on how road types should be designated, because roads vary so much from state to state and even county to county. I recently engaged in a discussion with another user who said that interstates should be freeways, US highways should be major highways, and State Routes should be minor highways. While this may work in some areas of the US, it absolutely does not work in my area, where there are several State Routes that look and act exactly like the interstates in the area.
In my defense in that thread I said that all things being equal, for consistency sake I think it should be that way. RallyChris replied that he has seen the routing engine make judgements based on road type. That blew my thought on the consistency part out of the water.

I still think we need to get some word from support on what the road type means to the routing engine and other things Waze before a definite conclusion can be made.
Sorry, I didn't mean to make you feel defensive. I understand where you're coming from, I just wanted to provide that as an example of how different things can be from place to place. That's something we really have to consider (and something I sometimes forget), especially since Waze is international.

I do wish that Waze support was more transparent about things like this. I don't know if they will give us an answer, although it would definitely help us nail this down.
unwallflower
Send a message