Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by Mynios
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
Mynios wrote:Yesterday I had a few visitors at a mentoring session. So not always 1:1 shows. :mrgreen:
Also, the road refresh functionality is built into Toolbox now, and also can be set up as a bookmarklet.
It's a great feature! But do you know a level 1 editor with the toolbox?
Mynios
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by sketch
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: I think global champs should set up and use some kind of screen sharing (free!?) and offer to show, visually, real-time. (I think that kind of functionality is beyond what should be in WME.)
This is a pretty cool idea.

Windows Remote Assistance is built into Windows and should work pretty easily for Windows-Windows connections, especially if both parties are using 7. Likewise, if both users are using OS X, Screen Sharing is built into the OS, and easy connections are possible via the Messages app. The benefit of these is that no external software is required.

Cross-platform is more difficult using remote tools. An OS X user looking to help on a Windows system can use Remote Desktop Connection, which comes with Office and uses the same protocol as Windows Remote Assistance but isn't so helpful because it needs to start a new session. A Windows user looking to help on an OS X system needs a 3rd-party VNC client, I believe, and some preferences changes and possibly network kung-fu to get it open, but there's no need to start a new session. For these, the benefit is that only the person helping might need to install external software. However, the new session requirement makes it much less helpful (can't jump right in), and the preferences changes needed for VNC may be too difficult.

I don't know much about using separate apps for screen sharing; CrossLoop was simple and free but it's been discontinued. Apparently Skype has free screen sharing; it requires sign up, but ostensibly it's at least something that a number of people already have.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:TeamViewer also may be a good option.
"Remote control any computer or Mac" Heh.

I can test either with you tomorrow if you like.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
Either noonish (I'll be in a library) or after 4 (I'll be at home) should be good. CST, so two hours off you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Okay, yeah. I'm skipping the library today anyway, I'm in a 2-hour parking. Sometime after 4, then?
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Yeah, 2 for you I believe.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Oh yes, thanks. I will mention this in the 1.6 editor release topic.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by TonyTorrent
Thanks for posting this, I wasn't aware of it. And yeah, I'm one of those who didn't know this. :)
TonyTorrent
Send a message

Post by txemt
I've started doing 1 of 2 things. I'll either click on someone else who's online, which zooms me to their location, then either click on the person who I'm helping, or hit JUMP to go back to that person.

Second, I'll draw a road segment not connected to anything and hit save. To refresh the map later, I'll delete the segment.

Both ways refresh the map.
txemt
Send a message
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.