The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Routing Assistance Required

Post by AANav
Hello

I need help fixing a road problem that is causing Waze to route in incorrectly. I started editing the road a few weeks ago since there were several disconnections and errors but there appears to be some issue that is still causing waze not to router correctly.

This problem appears to be only when traveling into Half Moon Bay, CA from any city to the east (San Mateo, CA for example) but when starting from Half Moon Bay, CA to a city east routing is correct (using Hwy 92).

This is the correct route from San Mateo to Half Moon Bay according to Google Maps.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 22988&z=13

The route given by Waze makes you drive north to Daily City and then back south on Hwy 1 to Half Moon Bay (sorry not sure how to add a link to the map directions so added screen shot)

Both maps used
Start: 200 Franklin Pkwy San Mateo, CA 94403-1497
End: Half Moon Bay Police Department
537 Kelly Street Half Moon Bay, CA 94019-1719

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as I have been trying to figure this out for a long time but can't seem to solve the issue.

Thank you
Waze.jpg
(230.46 KiB) Downloaded 10810 times
AANav

POSTER_ID:5873

Send a message

Post by AANav
Thank you. I'll work on removing all the extra nodes.
AANav
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I just started to look at this. A permalink from Cartouche is very helpful to have:

http://www.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=1&l ... FFFFFFTTTT
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I haven't looked deeply into this, but in general when Waze picks a route this far out of the way, it is because there is a bad segment or junction along the faster/shorter route which makes the routing server believe a path does not exist. I haven't found this segment yet, but based on what I see in views like this one, where there are many junctions which need to be deleted, that there is likely a segment which is set to one-way.

The one-way segment is supported by the fact that the reverse trip does route you along Hwy 92/San Mateo Rd correctly.

I would go end-to-end along San Mateo Rd removing nodes which don't belong (have no street connected except San Mateo Rd), and make sure all segments are set to 2-way.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
AANav wrote:Thank you. I'll work on removing all the extra nodes.
You're welcome. Good luck!
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
AANav wrote:Thank you. I'll work on removing all the extra nodes.
You're welcome. Good luck!
Note that there is a problem in this area on the trip from Half Moon Bay to San Mateo too, as the Live Map routing takes you over Skyline north to the next I-280 interchange, and then back south along 280 to the interchange with 92.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message