Browsers for editing: Safari? Maybe so...

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Browsers for editing: Safari? Maybe so...

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:53 am

Hi all,

I just wanted to post this little note because I've been round-robin testing IE8, FF, Chrome and Safari for Cartouche. What I found surprised me greatly. Now, my findings thus far are not scientific and there are many other factors outside of my control on the server side, and also time-of-day circumstances which may affect performance.

My primary browser for Cartouche has been Chrome after FF and IE8 just didn't work well. My home is all Mac, except for my work laptop. So I started using Safari when Chrome would frustrate me. For what it's worth, I have found that Safari performs surprisingly well on the Mac for map editing. I was thinking the javascript-heavy Cartouche would bog Safari down something fierce, but I have been proved wrong.

Anyway, just my $.02.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Browsers for editing: Safari? Maybe so...

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:22 pm

unwallflower wrote:That being said, I very rarely use Safari for anything (I feel like it's our Mac version of IE... ugh) beyond the occasional test when I'm designing a new site.

I haven't tried Safari on Windows yet. I'd think it'd be the same, but who knows...
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby banished » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:42 am

Waze specifically states it is not compatible with IE. I usually use FF, but it is very slow most of the time. GC sometimes works fairly well, and Safari seems to lie between FF and GC.
Country Manager & Southeast (Alabama, Florida, Georgia) Regional Coordinator
@WazeNWFL -- I Waze, therefore I am --
banished
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby unwallflower » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:43 pm

I've tried to use Safari and haven't really encountered any problems with it.

That being said, I very rarely use Safari for anything (I feel like it's our Mac version of IE... ugh) beyond the occasional test when I'm designing a new site.

I've had better luck with Chrome for editing.
unwallflower

Postby unwallflower » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:29 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
unwallflower wrote:That being said, I very rarely use Safari for anything (I feel like it's our Mac version of IE... ugh) beyond the occasional test when I'm designing a new site.

I haven't tried Safari on Windows yet. I'd think it'd be the same, but who knows...

I haven't either. I try to avoid Windows when possible, but my desktop at home (27" iMac) is dual booted for those times when I absolutely must do something that requires Windows.

I'd assume cartouche works the same in both the Mac and Windows versions of Safari. Maybe when I get a chance sometime I'll boot up Windows and download it to see.
unwallflower

Return to Waze Map Editor