Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Seperating Line?what for?

Post by m_linc
for what is used check box with name "Seperating Line"?
m_linc

POSTER_ID:51034

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
m_linc wrote:for what is used check box with name "Seperating Line"?
The Map Editing wiki page says "Use the separating line checkbox only when there is a physical barrier on the road between the opposing lanes."

So, if there is a curb or small median (not wide enough to warrant to one-way roads), use the separating line checkbox to denote that traffic it not allow to turn across that barrier. Cartouche does not explicitly disallow this turn, so you can set an allowed turn which crosses this barrier, so it is not a totally function checkbox. For some road types, like Primary Street, it does graphically represent in Cartouche with a line down the middle of the roadway.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
harling wrote:In my experience, the only roads that should be split are limited-access highways (ingress/egress by ramps only), and on those extremely rare occasions when the two directions are so far apart that the client can't match the segment to the GPS coordinates. FWIW, I have roads in Boston that are 3 lanes wide in each direction, with a 10' median or turning lane in the middle, mapped as a single two-way road segment.
Totally agree. I think I've advocated for a separation by a medium other than a roadbed (curbs, plants, grass, etc.) that exceeds 5m or so. e.g. a state highway which is a 5-lane (2x2+median/turn lane) at one point splits such that an 18' grass median separates the directions and then later widens to 50'+ around creeks, wetlands, etc. I have this road splitting as soon as the paved turn lane ends.

A 3' curbed planter box does not warrant two one-way roads, IMO. It does warrant a separating line, though. I've seen so many split roads which I really don't think should be. But, this is a community effort and some folks like to be as accurate as possible. I go for the KISS principle.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by harling
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
m_linc wrote:for what is used check box with name "Seperating Line"?
The Map Editing wiki page says "Use the separating line checkbox only when there is a physical barrier on the road between the opposing lanes."

So, if there is a curb or small median (not wide enough to warrant to one-way roads), use the separating line checkbox to denote that traffic it not allow to turn across that barrier...
I'm going to chime in here that the width of the central barrier should not be the (only) factor when deciding whether to split a road into two one-way segments. As belabored here, splitting roads complicates both the visual map and the audible directions. Remember that the goal is to provide the driver with usable navigation, not to model the physical roadway.

In my experience, the only roads that should be split are limited-access highways (ingress/egress by ramps only), and on those extremely rare occasions when the two directions are so far apart that the client can't match the segment to the GPS coordinates. FWIW, I have roads in Boston that are 3 lanes wide in each direction, with a 10' median or turning lane in the middle, mapped as a single two-way road segment.
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by harling
WeeeZer14 wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I've seen so many split roads which I really don't think should be. But, this is a community effort and some folks like to be as accurate as possible. I go for the KISS principle.
In my area it has been a balancing act because some roads on the base map were split into two one way roads (when not really justified) even before a human touched them. Some I'll clean up as I go, but for the most part I just try to make sure they work properly.
Most of the split roads around here show signs of having been two-way roads at one time. (When you split a two-way road, the original segment that was made one-way still shows two-way connectivity.)

As I respond to update requests in my area, if I end up having to edit a split road, I usually end up converting it back to a single two-way road unless there is a very good reason to leave it split.
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by m_linc
tnx...
m_linc
Send a message

Post by WeeeZer14
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I've seen so many split roads which I really don't think should be. But, this is a community effort and some folks like to be as accurate as possible. I go for the KISS principle.
In my area it has been a balancing act because some roads on the base map were split into two one way roads (when not really justified) even before a human touched them. Some I'll clean up as I go, but for the most part I just try to make sure they work properly.
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator