The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Are alt street names going to be fixed anytime soon?

Post by unwallflower
I swear they're going to drive me crazy.

I know that it has been said forever that some better system is going to be put in place eventually. In the meantime, is there any chance the current system could be fixed? It seems to break more and more all the time.

A while back I noticed that alt names get erased whenever geometry is edited. Now I'm noticing that alt names can only be added one segment at a time. Has it always been this way? I swear it hasn't, but maybe I'm just going crazy.

Situation: segment A and segment B both have the same alt name (the road in question is a county highway, known by a regular name but I really would like to attach the county highway number to it even though it doesn't do anything right now). If I highlight both A and B and add the alt name, it saves. Then if I open up the details page on either (or both) of the segments, it shows that there is no alt name at all.

If I save the alt name to segment A and B separately, it sticks. But then if I highlight both at the same time and open up the details page, it still shows there is no alt name. Open them separately and it shows up, just not together... even though they have the same exactly alternate name.

Can this be fixed? If there are no plans on fixing it, you might as well just delete it because right now this field is essentially worthless and is just going to cause confusion and frustration in new members.
unwallflower

POSTER_ID:319795

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
harling wrote:
unwallflower wrote:
WeeeZer14 wrote:It has been like that for as long as I can remember. Both those bugs really drive me nuts!
Man, I swear I previously was able to ctrl+select a bunch of segments and assign an alt name to them before, and as long as I didn't edit the geometry or anything it stuck. Maybe I'm finally going crazy. :shock:
Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. I haven't been able to characterize it. But I have learned to go back and check, rather than assume it always works.
I have seen it work properly more often when none of the roads belong to a city. However, I have never been able to get alt names to stick properly for multiple selections with regularity.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by harling
unwallflower wrote:
WeeeZer14 wrote:It has been like that for as long as I can remember. Both those bugs really drive me nuts!
Man, I swear I previously was able to ctrl+select a bunch of segments and assign an alt name to them before, and as long as I didn't edit the geometry or anything it stuck. Maybe I'm finally going crazy. :shock:
Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. I haven't been able to characterize it. But I have learned to go back and check, rather than assume it always works.

Personally, I think editing the geometry and editing the road properties should go hand-in-hand, rather than be separate operations. I've been doing a lot of consolidating pairs of one-way lanes back into two-way roads, which means a lot of both editing geometry, and editing road properties (direction, separating line, alt names). It would be really nice to be able to do both at once.

And no, I'm not going to suggest this on UserVoice. :roll: The people who worry about the usability (or lack thereof) of Cartouche are so outnumbered by the rest of the user base, it's pointless. As an Area Manager, think about how many Wazers drive in your area--that you know of--and how many of them are AMs. Votes for end-user features are always going to outnumber votes for map-editing features by 20:1.
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by rlpl
By the way, I wonder how waze developers could develop the bug that makes the Alt names disappear when the geometry is changed. Yes, develop is a correct word because I think it takes a special action to delete the Alt names. The database engines don't remove the data just because you don't put enough attention when updating other data.
rlpl
Send a message
My previous login name was rl_pl.

Post by rlpl
I like this tech conversation. May the same explanation apply to the alt names being deleted when the geometry is changed? I think that in that case no other properties of the road should be changed.
rlpl
Send a message

Post by unwallflower
unwallflower
Send a message

Post by WeeeZer14
It has been like that for as long as I can remember. Both those bugs really drive me nuts!
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator

Post by WeeeZer14
rl_pl wrote:By the way, I wonder how waze developers could develop the bug that makes the Alt names disappear when the geometry is changed. Yes, develop is a correct word because I think it takes a special action to delete the Alt names. The database engines don't remove the data just because you don't put enough attention when updating other data.
I bet you there is an HTML form element that is not being handled properly. Notice when you select multiple segments that no alt names are shown. When you save your changes, the array of alt names is either passed as or handled as blanks instead of nulls.

I had a similar problem with a web app I maintain at work, so I am guessing based on that experience.
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator