The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Coastlines

Post by floppyrod84
Hi,

I have been doing work around Isle of Sheppey, Kent, UK and the River Swale seems to bleed into the roads I created. Does the coastline auto update itself when it detects roads in the area, or do I need to remap the coastline better locally? If so, how do I do that as I haven't seen any option for it :S

Thank you :)
floppyrod84

POSTER_ID:1357756

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I believe you are free to work on updating the coastline manually with landmarks if you want. There are others who have done some of this, and there are threads in the forum about it. Personally, I am not going to worry about it.

There is a known issue with river islands not appearing in the base landmass layer, so I have several square km of roads on islands, such as for port docks and associated businesses, which have the roads floating on water.

I also have 363 miles of coastline for which there have been changes due to storms changing the water-level location of the coastline. But, there's a lot more for me to work on fixing for the roads in the area before I put time against waterways and such.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
xteejx wrote:I see. I suppose it'd be best to work on roads and then the river :)
Thanks for the reply
But remember, that's totally up to you. I'm not going to tell you what you should be doing. This is crowd-sourcing and none of us users are "in control," so you do what feels right. Some areas are heavily dependent on waterway locations and there would be good reasons to feel that working on them is a good use of time.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
There was a recent thread about this, and if I remember correctly, water landmarks won't load into the client unless there is a road very close or on it. It was recommended to create some fake roads on the water landmarks, and then after they appear in the client, you can remove the fake roads.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
No-one know at all? :(
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
I see. I suppose it'd be best to work on roads and then the river :)
Thanks for the reply
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Quick update.
I've update the area around the Isle of Sheppey: http://world.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=0 ... FFFFFFTTTT
The thing is, on the live map, there already appears to be a basic coastline, but it doesn't appear at all in cartouche. Well some bits do that have been added by some users, but the live map doesn't seem to reflect those landmarks.

What is wrong, and will my edits with water in the link above show correctly when the updates are synced?
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Looks like I'll be adding a very long service road :D Thanks for the reply :)
floppyrod84
Send a message