The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

GPS Confused only with Waze

Post by wpegues
I have found a location where Maze's GPS becomes totally confused. Unfortunately, my home is inside this area. Approaching it, Waze is perfectly aligned with all the roads and turns. When I start to enter the area (it seems somewhat like a large circular area), Waze instantly does a recalculation of my route and then moves my location and my destination, about a quarter mile or so away.

This happens 100% of the time with Waze. And, when I am moving around in this problem area, Maze is moving but located this quarter mile or so away. When I leave this 'Bermuda Triangle' Maze then does a recalculation and places me again right on the roads just fine.

I have this happen on 4 different iOS devices. My iPhone, my iPad, my wife's iPhone and her iPad. All running the latest update of both Waze and the iOS.

It does NOT happen on the iOS google maps application, on the traffic mapping by Inrix (sp), on a Geocaching app I have, or on any other app that I have that uses GPS. On those, they are 100% right on my location, actually down to about 10 feet or so when I zoom in and overlay with terrain like google maps supports.

So, it seems to be something within Waze, or some way that Waze is interpreting the coincidental alignment of GPS information.

This is also not a singular instance either. This happens every day, every time I use it or have gone out specifically to test it.

I can provide the exact location if this is something that can lead to fixing it, and I can do other testing as well. Like I say, ever trip ends or begins here since my home is in this problem area, so I would like to see it fixed.

William
wpegues

POSTER_ID:1396368

Send a message

Post by wpegues
Not sure why the monroe other displayed - but now the map shows Reston, Virginia just fine.

This area has a many roads that are so totally off base that you can't just do a move. I overlaid the gps tracks with the aerial map and the major roads are all ok. A few (very few) minor roads are ok but most are totally mis-located.
wpegues
Send a message
Will
iPad Air, iOS 7.1.2
iPhone 4s, iOS 7.1.2
MacBookPro 15" Retina, Mountain Lion 10.9.4
Area Manager: Northern Virginia

Post by unwallflower
Aha! That would be a pretty easy fix.

I've encountered a few displaced neighborhoods before, it isn't too terrible to realign them.
unwallflower
Send a message

Post by unwallflower
Can you post a permalink to this area for us to look at? (directions here)
unwallflower
Send a message

Post by Rsammon4281
I get that weird City thing going on up in Ontario, Canada all the time too. I searched all over for roads labeled with that city, but this explains why I couldn't find them. Hope they fix it soon. It's bad enough having "Brantford", "Brantford, Ontario", "City Of Brantford" and so forth randomly popping up on my screen, let alone one like "Waterloo" in the same area lol..........
Rsammon4281
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Making GPS easier for YOU, one segment at a time......

Southern Ontario Area Manager
1999 Chevrolet Cavalier and 2006 Freightliner Columbia
Blackberry Torch 9800

Post by krankyd
I looked further into the issue, and the problem here is an offset in the original data we received from TIGER.
See screenshot attached, and permalink here:
http://www.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=5&l ... FFFFFFTTTT
ParkGardenLn.jpg
(282.64 KiB) Downloaded 1035 times
I offered wpegues to help waze get better by editing the maps... hopefully we will get this neighborhood straight in no time!
krankyd
Send a message
wazing like a hurricane