An Important Change in the Client Display

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: An Important Change in the Client Display

Postby sketch » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:06 pm

I don't really think notes in the editor is gonna make a difference in when the railroad-displaying version is released. That's likely to come in 4.0, which I doubt would be delayed for any editor-specific reason. I would expect, if anything, that editor annotations has been prioritized to be released before 4.0, maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby banished » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:01 pm

I find unfortunate that display of railroads is contingent upon a note system. Railroads never should have been used for notes, but Waze didn't help matters much because they were aware railroad segments were being used for notes and didn't immediately put a stop to it.

I've been waiting since NA Meetup 2012 for railroads to display. Guess I'll have to wait a while longer and use an alternative device at locations where I'd really like to have the railroad as a visual reference point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby redviper26 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:07 am

Hey guys,

We understand the issue is important to you, and we take it seriously. The change in display will not be implemented in the next version, and we are working on a permanent solution for comments in the editor.

Please consider this a heads up, and try to minimize the use of railroads for comments as it add "noise" to the database. We will keep you updated regarding the comments permanent solution.

Thanks,

Noam
redviper26
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:17 pm

sketch wrote:That it's coming in 4.0 does not surprise me at all.

Me neither.
sketch wrote:Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean there'll have to be a 3.8 or 3.9...

True. but some are tagged specifically as v3.8 and others 3.9, which suggests, at this time, they are planning for them.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:15 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Whether they can make this change without updating the app, I don't know. What I do find curious is that Shirli was marking some bugzilla reports for future v3.8 and v3.9, but on the change to the app to enable proper display of additional road types like parking lot, railroad, etc., she wrote, "Planned. Version not scheduled yet."

That suggests a version beyond the next two releases, like perhaps 4.0.

Unless they can push new style files and the code to interpret it (there's no way, not within the App Store), I doubt it.

That it's coming in 4.0 does not surprise me at all. I am expecting a full overhaul of the client display, as we (champs) were told in that live map redesign report. This kind of thing doesn't just show up in an x.8 version, at least not on Waze—all our big interface overhauls have been x.0 versions.

Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean there'll have to be a 3.8 or 3.9, but it also doesn't mean there won't. Either way, to expect a full map display overhaul would take anything less than a significant number of months is asking too much.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:56 pm

Whether they can make this change without updating the app, I don't know. What I do find curious is that Shirli was marking some bugzilla reports for future v3.8 and v3.9, but on the change to the app to enable proper display of additional road types like parking lot, railroad, etc., she wrote, "Planned. Version not scheduled yet."

That suggests a version beyond the next two releases, like perhaps 4.0.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Timbones » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:57 am

Iain wrote a longer more detailed proposal here: https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=79960
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby Machete808 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:17 am

Timbones wrote:Maybe this could come "soon"er than asking for them to create some new notes system? ;)

Sounds good to me, for precisely that reason!
Machete808
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby Timbones » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:00 am

vickimachado wrote:I just wish there was one that didn't require you to select one of the listed problem options; that had a distinct icon, such as a cone; and had a lock on it.

Perhaps we ask Waze to make a very simple addition to the LiveMap problem report feature:
- new problem type called "Editor Note"
- appears in WME with a cone or note icon
- can only be closed by the reporter
- reporter name is not anonymous
- bonus: be able to post them from within WME

Maybe this could come "soon"er than asking for them to create some new notes system? ;)
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby Machete808 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:04 pm

Timbones wrote:Update Requests posted from the Livemap are very effective for editor comments, and are far superior to [ab]using Railroads. We use them routinely for roadworks and other non-obvious changes:

• Has more space for text
  • Allows other editors to comment on it
  • Instance notifications of new comments, or premature deletion
  • Is highly visible within the editor, at all zoom levels
  • Will never appear in the client

Agree completely; it functions pretty well. I just wish there was one that didn't require you to select one of the listed problem options; that had a distinct icon, such as a cone; and had a lock on it. Hoping the new/future tool will have those attributes.
Machete808
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Next

Return to Waze Map Editor