The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

An Important Change in the Client Display

Post by redviper26
Hey everyone,

We wanted to update you about a change in the display of certain road types in the client, that may affect the way you use the editor.

One of the upcoming changes to the map will cause all road types to be presented in the client. Up until now some roads - railroads for example - were not shown in the client. Some of you used those roads to mark certain issues on the map.

After enabling those road types in the client, this will of course no longer be possible, as any segment with any text in it’s name will be presented to all app users.

To enable the change, we need you to remove such road segments from the map, and make sure new ones are not added to it - Otherwise they’ll appear in the client and confuse users.

Thanks for your help,

Noam
redviper26
Waze Team
Waze Team

POSTER_ID:16836319

Send a message

Post by redviper26
The rule of thumb is to assume all road types will be visible in the client.
redviper26
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message

Post by redviper26
Hey guys,

We understand the issue is important to you, and we take it seriously. The change in display will not be implemented in the next version, and we are working on a permanent solution for comments in the editor.

Please consider this a heads up, and try to minimize the use of railroads for comments as it add "noise" to the database. We will keep you updated regarding the comments permanent solution.

Thanks,

Noam
redviper26
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message

Post by sgtgary
Not sure if this has been asked and I missed it in the threat but....

Any chance you can disable these in the map editor so that our overzealous editors don't add them back in?

EDIT: I was one of those overzealous editors at times ;-)
sgtgary
Send a message
Nebraska State Manager
US Plains Editor
Twitter: @sgtgary

Post by sketch
Plus, I'm pretty sure the client map design is planned for a pretty major overhaul. This may be it, or part of it.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Whether they can make this change without updating the app, I don't know. What I do find curious is that Shirli was marking some bugzilla reports for future v3.8 and v3.9, but on the change to the app to enable proper display of additional road types like parking lot, railroad, etc., she wrote, "Planned. Version not scheduled yet."

That suggests a version beyond the next two releases, like perhaps 4.0.
Unless they can push new style files and the code to interpret it (there's no way, not within the App Store), I doubt it.

That it's coming in 4.0 does not surprise me at all. I am expecting a full overhaul of the client display, as we (champs) were told in that live map redesign report. This kind of thing doesn't just show up in an x.8 version, at least not on Waze—all our big interface overhauls have been x.0 versions.

Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean there'll have to be a 3.8 or 3.9, but it also doesn't mean there won't. Either way, to expect a full map display overhaul would take anything less than a significant number of months is asking too much.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
I don't really think notes in the editor is gonna make a difference in when the railroad-displaying version is released. That's likely to come in 4.0, which I doubt would be delayed for any editor-specific reason. I would expect, if anything, that editor annotations has been prioritized to be released before 4.0, maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by slandrum
Well, parking lot is already rendered in the app. Which I thought was among the reasons that it wasn't desirable to completely fill out parking lots, just put in enough to fix routing issues, and boundaries near roads to suppress traffic jam generation.
slandrum
Send a message
Orange County, CA, USA, Samsung Galaxy S3, Android 4.3 https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/2/24/W ... 2cones.png

Post by Timbones
Sounds good to me, as we've only ever used Railroads for Railways here.

Will you also take care of the data pollution issues with Railroads?
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries

Post by Timbones
AlexN-114 wrote:Will we get another resource to comment edits?
Update Requests posted from the Livemap are very effective for editor comments, and are far superior to [ab]using Railroads. We use them routinely for roadworks and other non-obvious changes:
  • Has more space for text
  • Allows other editors to comment on it
  • Instance notifications of new comments, or premature deletion
  • Is highly visible within the editor, at all zoom levels
  • Will never appear in the client
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries