how to edit two ways roads junctions?

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: how to edit two ways roads junctions?

Postby slandrum » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:52 pm

No, it's 15m in the US (and presumably Canada, since it's on the same server) as well. I've had to widen intersection segments to just over 15m to allow U-turns, and shortened some to just under 15m to prevent U-turns, and the changes worked as desired.
Orange County, CA, USA, Samsung Galaxy S3, Android 4.3 Image
slandrum
 
Posts: 362
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 85 times

Re: how to edit two ways roads junctions?

Postby zadigre » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:56 pm

AndyPoms wrote:Wow, that area is a mess... Most of the roads that are typed as "Street" shouldn't be split in that area.

If you follow Boul du Séminaire Nord south from that intersection, you'll see several different styles of junctions. All of which can be greatly simplified by unsplitting the side streets (but this isn't something a level 1 should tackle with out assistance, as the work has to be done in a particular method to preserve some underlying data.

Canada is on the NA Infrastructure (along with the US), and I think that the connections have to be less than 10m to prevent a U-Turn, but I'm not sure...


thanks for your feedback...

do you think it's worth it to "report" this area to the proper forum section so some that knows what he's doing could fix everything?

I just fixed some obvious errors (like u-turn not allowed or not recommanded at all for "important" segments)... but I don't want to mess with unsplitting segments (at least not for now).
Image
zadigre
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:01 pm
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: how to edit two ways roads junctions?

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:08 pm

My gut reaction is to say that a bowtie may be a good way to deal with this.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 23480
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: US Country Manager - Oregon, USA
Has thanked: 1084 times
Been thanked: 4606 times

Re: how to edit two ways roads junctions?

Postby zadigre » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:26 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:My gut reaction is to say that a bowtie may be a good way to deal with this.


you mean linking the segments from the side streets right in the middle or farther point of the main split street?
Image
zadigre
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:01 pm
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: how to edit two ways roads junctions?

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:47 pm

zadigre wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:My gut reaction is to say that a bowtie may be a good way to deal with this.


you mean linking the segments from the side streets right in the middle or farther point of the main split street?

Yeah, all segments meet at a single junction. Not everyone likes them, but they do work very well.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 23480
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: US Country Manager - Oregon, USA
Has thanked: 1084 times
Been thanked: 4606 times

Re: how to edit two ways roads junctions?

Postby zadigre » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:56 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Yeah, all segments meet at a single junction. Not everyone likes them, but they do work very well.



I did this once for a split road that had the two segments more than 15m away (it was not possible to keep them under 15m)... and it worked really fine.

Waze should add a section for this type of junctions in the wiki...
it would be quite easier if we had a clear picture of what should and shouldn't be done in those situations.
Image
zadigre
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:01 pm
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: how to edit two ways roads junctions?

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:06 pm

zadigre wrote:Waze should add a section for this type of junctions in the wiki...
it would be quite easier if we had a clear picture of what should and shouldn't be done in those situations.

https://www.waze.com/wiki/Junction_Style_Guide#Bow_tie_intersections
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 23480
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: US Country Manager - Oregon, USA
Has thanked: 1084 times
Been thanked: 4606 times

Re: how to edit two ways roads junctions?

Postby zadigre » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:12 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
zadigre wrote:Waze should add a section for this type of junctions in the wiki...
it would be quite easier if we had a clear picture of what should and shouldn't be done in those situations.

https://www.waze.com/wiki/Junction_Style_Guide#Bow_tie_intersections


this is simple and clear... but it does not cover the situation when two dual carriageway roads intersect.
Image
zadigre
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:01 pm
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: how to edit two ways roads junctions?

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:14 pm

zadigre wrote:this is simple and clear... but it does not cover the situation when two dual carriageway roads intersect.

That is true. I think we expect people to extrapolate, or think things like "this could apply to my situation, too" kind of stuff. Maybe the page could be updated with some more examples.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 23480
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: US Country Manager - Oregon, USA
Has thanked: 1084 times
Been thanked: 4606 times

Re: how to edit two ways roads junctions?

Postby zadigre » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:43 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
zadigre wrote:this is simple and clear... but it does not cover the situation when two dual carriageway roads intersect.

That is true. I think we expect people to extrapolate, or think things like "this could apply to my situation, too" kind of stuff. Maybe the page could be updated with some more examples.


thanks for your feedback...

I'm learning more an more everyday...
I don't think I will be more than level 1 (or maybe 2 if they upgrade my level) in the future... but at least, I will do a better job with all the feedback I got.
Image
zadigre
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:01 pm
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 2 times

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Feedfetcher