Traffic Locks

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Traffic Locks

Postby sketch » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:27 pm

SuperDave1426 wrote:
sketch wrote:Traffic locks are something we're testing in the beta now. Toolbox should probably disable them for the production editor ;)

That still doesn't tell me what the difference is between a Lx Lock and a Lx Traffic Lock. :-)

Traffic locks are automatic locks generated based on the amount of traffic that uses a given segment. We're still working out the details in the US—for instance, no segment should be automatically locked at L6 under any circumstances. We're also gunning for immunity for AMs within their managed area. We don't intend to sign off on it unless that is achieved one way or another.

Goodolsen wrote:JNF is updated already to v 0.0.8.2

1000th post! Very nice :)
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • tier one • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: [Script] WME Toolbox

Postby SuperDave1426 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:34 pm

sketch wrote:
SuperDave1426 wrote:
sketch wrote:Traffic locks are something we're testing in the beta now. Toolbox should probably disable them for the production editor ;)

That still doesn't tell me what the difference is between a Lx Lock and a Lx Traffic Lock. :-)

Traffic locks are automatic locks generated based on the amount of traffic that uses a given segment.

Oh, ok. Thanks for the explanation.

We're still working out the details in the US—for instance, no segment should be automatically locked at L6 under any circumstances. We're also gunning for immunity for AMs within their managed area. We don't intend to sign off on it unless that is achieved one way or another.

Yea, that would be a good thing. :D
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:41 pm

sketch wrote:Traffic locks are automatic locks generated based on the amount of traffic that uses a given segment. We're still working out the details in the US—for instance, no segment should be automatically locked at L6 under any circumstances. We're also gunning for immunity for AMs within their managed area. We don't intend to sign off on it unless that is achieved one way or another.

And the other Big Deal with traffic locks is that no one can set the lock lower than the traffic lock. That effectively kills the "unlock request" idea, and everything then becomes and "update request." If at least Area Managers can adjust anything in their area regardless of lock, that would help.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby qwaletee » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:46 pm

Is traffic lock going to set at fixed volumes of traffic, or relative to the surrounding area? Because a big city limit would never get reached in a small town, while a top small town limit would never hit even a low level lock in a big city.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby SuperDave1426 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:49 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
sketch wrote:Traffic locks are automatic locks generated based on the amount of traffic that uses a given segment. We're still working out the details in the US—for instance, no segment should be automatically locked at L6 under any circumstances. We're also gunning for immunity for AMs within their managed area. We don't intend to sign off on it unless that is achieved one way or another.

And the other Big Deal with traffic locks is that no one can set the lock lower than the traffic lock. That effectively kills the "unlock request" idea, and everything then becomes and "update request." If at least Area Managers can adjust anything in their area regardless of lock, that would help.

Yikes! To me, the whole "traffic lock" idea sounds horrible based on that.

I agree, Area Managers are picked to manage those areas - I already think they should be allowed to edit anything within their area regardless of lock level. So I hope that comes to pass - especially if this crappy implementation is going to keep RCs and so on from being able to lower the lock level to accommodate needs.... :?
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby fernandoanguita » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:55 pm

Hi everybody !!

I want to make some questions so everybody can think of different (or same) answers.

I would go first for the deep questions of the real need for implementing "traffic lock".

Q1: Would it be to prevent unexperienced users to damage the map ? I would say yes.
Q2: Would it be more of a help tool than a headache maker? I would go for the help tool.
Q3: What is the editor level that has to be locked away ? I would say 1 to 3.

I think "traffic lock" should be implemented as a limiting tool for the unexperienced user. Blocking streets should be made mainly in lock levels of 2 to 4. This way we have away of selected "traffic locked segments" editors level 1 to 3.

Most of damage, I think, is made by level 1 and level 2 editors, due to no initial filtering or forcing reading the wiki and forum participarion to start editting.

I don´t think there are "so many" editors level 4 or higher that would need a "traffic lock" to prevent them to damage the map.

Still if you are editor level 3, you have to request to upgrade to level 4. In this process must be certified the qualification of the quality of editor, to be aloud to get the higher privileges.

After all, it is many editors effort what has been fixing the map, but we don´t have to get in the way of the need of improving the map to prevent damaging it. This restrictions if set too strong, will heavily prevent new editors to become active if they see they can do little work and be requesting permission for most edits.

This is just my humble opinion, but it is up to the community and staff decision what to do, I just want to make sure we do not loose the goal it is moving this feature.

Best regards from Concepción, Chile,
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
Fernando Anguita Geissbuhler
GC- CM Chile- RM7 Thailand-AM Saudi Arabia
Dudas?? revisa:
WIKI de Latinoamérica.
Como editar Mapas.
Questions ??
Check the wiki first.
fernandoanguita
Master Raider
Master Raider

traffic locks in lieu of editor training

Postby dbraughlr » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:42 pm

fernandoanguita wrote:Most of damage, I think, is made by [rank] 1 and 2 editors, due to no initial filtering or forcing reading the wiki and forum participation to start editing.
Still if you are editor [rank] 3, you have to request to upgrade to [rank] 4. In this process must be certified the qualification of ... editor, to be allowed to get the higher privileges.

I entirely favor having to pass an examination to advance in rank including to receive rank 1. :geek: For ranks 3 and above, a confirmation should be required from an editor holding at least rank 5 or 6 who simply affirms that he has seen some work of the editor who is seeking to advance.
Such a sign-off is readily obtainable through chat.

Implementing traffic locks mainly means that the roads which are damaged, deleted, or split will be in residential areas rather than primary streets and those making improper changes will go undetected longer.

It is said that back when we had insane asylums, there was a test for patients to see whether they could be released. The patient was taken to a washroom where the water was overflowing from the sink onto the floor. The nurse handed the patient a mop and told him to mop up the water. If the patient complied, he was not released. Any sane person would first turn off the spigot.
Last edited by dbraughlr on Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dbraughlr

Postby CBenson » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:01 pm

fernandoanguita wrote:Most of damage, I think, is made by level 1 and level 2 editors, due to no initial filtering or forcing reading the wiki and forum participarion to start editting.

I don't know about this. I find plenty of problems caused by rank 4 and 5 editors. I'd prefer a review system rather than a lock system, that way experienced editors would be able to educate new editors. But the lock system is more or less all we've got at this point to protect the map.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Traffic Locks

Postby fernandoanguita » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:09 pm

CBenson wrote:
fernandoanguita wrote:Most of damage, I think, is made by level 1 and level 2 editors, due to no initial filtering or forcing reading the wiki and forum participarion to start editting.

I don't know about this. I find plenty of problems caused by rank 4 and 5 editors. I'd prefer a review system rather than a lock system, that way experienced editors would be able to educate new editors. But the lock system is more or less all we've got at this point to protect the map.

Then the question is how these guys got to be editor level 4 or 5 without checking their abilities in the first place. Just for the points ?

Level of editor rank should be accordingly with experience and ability to edit by the rules and savvy of editing techniques. Otherwise, why have to request to upgrade edit level to 4 or higher if none of the skills is tested or certified ?

May be this is the real source of trouble, and locking segments will not fix ability of unexperienced/ careless editors to damage the map.

Well this is in my opinion, there should be a filter to pass for all editors, may be at level 3 willing to go for level 4, request some minimum editting skills, just enough to know that he knows what is he doing.

Otherwise we will end up with a bunch of make-points-quick editors that don´t know how to provide proper edits and support to the map.

Traffic Locks will not prevent of unqualified editors level 4-5 messing up the map.
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
Fernando Anguita Geissbuhler
GC- CM Chile- RM7 Thailand-AM Saudi Arabia
Dudas?? revisa:
WIKI de Latinoamérica.
Como editar Mapas.
Questions ??
Check the wiki first.
fernandoanguita
Master Raider
Master Raider

Re: editor quiz

Postby dbraughlr » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:30 pm

I note that the Application for US Area Manager asks a few questions on Your Editing and Knowledge.

1. Permalink to an area you have already been editing as an example of the type and quality of editing you have been doing.
  2. Paste the URL to the wiki Waze Map Editor documentation page which is the key starting point for editors.
  3. Paste the URL to the regional or state wiki page.
  4. Where should ramps be used?
    • U-turns between split roadways
    • Limited access roadway access ramps
    • Dedicated turn lanes
  5. Waze User ID or full name of the Regional Coordinator for the area you are requesting.
dbraughlr

Next

Return to Waze Map Editor