The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Is Road Type Really Subjective?

Post by superslacker87
I'm just asking, because obviously an Interstate would be considered a freeway, but I'm torn between the difference of a major highway and a minor highway, and in some cases between a minor highway and a primary street.

The way I look at is probably the following:

Freeway - All interstates.
Major Highway: Expressways that have exits but are not interstates
Minor Highway: US Highways or State Routes that can have businesses and other locations directly off of them (no exit signs).
Primary Street: Any major road that isn't a minor highway and has a speed limit of at least 35 Miles Per Hour
Streets: All other streets.

Is there some kind of standard or am I really at whim to say, this is how it should be, so I'm going to do it this way?
superslacker87

POSTER_ID:1283477

Send a message
Justin Miller
Omaha, NE Area Manager
Running Waze on a Samsung Galaxy S3 and sometimes an iPhone 4
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
This has been discussed at laborious length several times in the forum, as well as there being the wiki road type and naming standards. In general, I am making state hwy a minor, US hwy a major, and interstates a freeway. There are exceptions like state hwys built to interstate limited access standards, but those are a minority.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by hallmike
I do it the same as Alan.
hallmike
Send a message
https://photos.imageevent.com/hallmike/ ... llmike.jpg ...when you care enough to Waze the very best

Post by mapcat
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:This has been discussed at laborious length several times in the forum...
...and yet nobody's ever comfortable taking the next step to codifying it. (Maybe that's intentional.)

So yes, currently road type is de facto subjective. My general guidelines FWIW:

Freeway: a freeway is a freeway is a freeway. Some people are uncomfortable applying this to expressways with short entrance ramps or curves that require drivers to slow down to 40 mph, but almost always, if the road is divided, lacks traffic lights, and only accessible via grade-separated interchanges, it's a freeway.

Major highway: a freeway with occasional at-grade intersections, a multi-lane divided or undivided highway that is the preferred route into a city from a freeway or other major highway, and primary 2-lane roads that act as the most direct routes between small cities (pop around 25k or greater). In the US all of these will be state or US highways (and possibly even a few county highways in states that sign them).

Minor highway: any other road with a US or State highway number (plus county highways in some states).

Primary street: in cities, typically a road whose intersections with other roads of the same or greater rank are controlled by traffic lights. Most of the time in urban and suburban areas these will have at least 3 lanes, or at minimum dedicated turn lanes at light-controlled intersections. In rural areas, these are county roads that directly connect roads of higher rank to small communities, state parks, significant industrial areas, etc.

The most detailed discussion I could find on this subject is in this topic, which illustrates the ideas with some Google Street View images on page 3.
mapcat
Send a message
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1

Post by mapcat
unwallflower wrote:San Diego has very few US Highways.
Does SD have any US highways anymore? The 101 was truncated to LA or Orange Co a while back, wasn't it?

Around here, in the 1920s politicians had a lot more pull (and/or the east had more politicians), so every little cow path was nominated for consideration as a US highway at some point. If they were major highways, I'd show them that way, but many of them just handle local traffic, especially those shadowed by interstates.
mapcat
Send a message
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1

Post by unwallflower
I adhere to the method that mapcat described almost exactly.
unwallflower
Send a message

Post by unwallflower
You know, I really do follow both Alan AND mapcat's methods.

San Diego has very few US Highways, and nearly all State Highways here are limited access (and therefore marked at interstates).
unwallflower
Send a message

Post by WeeeZer14
I'm with Alan and I admit to starting some of the past discussions and also admit not taking them to the point of codification. I have my first baby on the way and have had much less time to devote to Waze recently.
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator