The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Removing Junctions

Post by jspanos
I did some searching and did not come up with anything, so here's a new thread.

It seems as if there's a bug when removing extra junctions from road segments. If the operation is successful then at least one direction's speed data gets set to 1 MPH. I found this out after removing extra junctions from half the state of Alabama. Even after several weeks I'm still having routing issues caused by this. Here's a link to a section that I recently (2+ weeks ago) removed junctions from.

http://www.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=4&l ... FTTFFFTTTT

Check the section of Old Hayden Rd between Sibleyville and Knopf Dr. The distance is 655 meters and the time is 33/1179 seconds (which is almost 20 minutes) for a speed of 44/1 MPH (according to the edit panel). Obviously this is going to influence the routing decisions.

In my opinion this problem needs to be corrected ASAP because of the dramatic impact on routing and the number of times/drives it will take to average these large amounts of time back down to something realistic.

If it's not already on the dev's radar, then please add it!
jspanos

POSTER_ID:449909

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
jspanos wrote:I can tell you that no matter what time of day the client does not route properly through this section of road because of the speed. Because of all the extra junctions that I removed it is not routing me properly in many parts of my 30+ mile (each way) trip to and from work every day.
Keep driving it and the average will approach the proper number over time.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Deleting segments is highly discouraged unless there is a completely unrecoverable error. Patience is a must to be a map editor.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Ditto that this seems reasonable. Averages are just that and having them adjust will be a moderate process. Otherwise, a handful of people on bicycles running waze, or a jogger, or a people speedracing down the street will too easily sway what the true average speed is.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
I would say that seems reasonable! You wouldn't want it to correct any faster or average speeds would be too volatile and far too susceptible to rogue recordings!
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
jspanos wrote:I understand that the turn restriction layer is broken, but I still turn it on because sometimes it does provide useful info.
How can it provide useful info if you have no way of knowing if the restriction it is showing is valid or not!? And just because there is no arrow doesn't mean there isn't actually a restriction there! This layer should not be used! Use the Highlight Connectivity option instead!
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
But how do you know those restrictions are real? Doesn't matter if you've touched it or not!
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
I'm well aware of the issues and like you have been putting up with the number of bugs for a long time. I still don't get how you can sift the spurious markers from the real ones but if you find it useful then who am I to argue.

As for waze fixing the bugs they have said work will be limited on this version of cartouche as they strive to get the new version out. I've seen comments hyping it up but through experience I won't hold me breath!
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
jspanos wrote:
I've been watching for the past month to see how quickly the average speed gets corre...
I got an email from Support today saying that they've addressed this issue. From now on, very slow segments will get updated speeds after a couple drives from Waze users. You should see an improvement over the next few days...

They were unable to replicate the original bug however, where the speed was corrupted when removing nodes. With the improvement mentioned above, as well as the upcoming new map editor, this may not be an issue for much longer.
Great news!
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by HavanaDay
Did a little more "research" into the Average Speed problem this weekend. It appears that if the road is one way that if you remove the node it seems to properly calculate the average speed for the segment. That is probably why I didn't notice it before since I have been concentrating on working on the interstates in the area. Also, this is on the www.waze.com cartouche.
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message