Loss of elevation data

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Loss of elevation data

Postby qwaletee » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:15 pm

It sounds like we have consensus so far that change is OK, but with an addition to the lost elevation warning, that if it still is blank after waiting a minute and refreshing, then there is a more serious problem that should be reported to a country manager or state manager for analysis and correction.

Agreed?
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby Mynios » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:20 am

BellHouse wrote:I have never seen such a case on the INTL server (but I believe you that they do exist, of course ;)).

Gregor, you should turn on the elevation layer of the TB. You will find a mass also in good old Germany. ;)
Mynios
Map Editor - Level 6
Map Editor - Level 6

Postby BellHouse » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:05 am

If someone finds a case where the elevation data of a segment is lost (null), also after a refresh of WME, please leave it that way and post a permalink. It would be interesting to see of this happens preferably on US or INTL servers, for instance. I have never seen such a case on the INTL server (but I believe you that they do exist, of course ;)).
BellHouse
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:21 am

Your note looks good, and I think we also need to mention that there are times when this issue causes the elevation data to be lost permanently as well. In those cases after a refresh the data is still blank and would then need to be updated. I have had this reported to me by at least one other user and I have also seen it myself. No refresh would bring it back.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby qwaletee » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:07 pm

qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby qwaletee » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:31 pm

It is definitely a bug, but at the same time, once that seems chronic, and in need of guidance to map editors. I vote adding content. I'll work some text up and post here.
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:34 pm

Not sure from this thread if we have concluded there is nothing we are doing that is causing this problem that we can fix. When I asked someone recently about this problem they said this was just a refresh error, but I have seen entire neighborhoods with the wrong elevation, but I had not heard about the refresh page test when I found them.

For now it looks like we are refreshing the screen and then fixing the segment elevation if it is still not correct. Maybe we should add this to the WME Wiki in the elevation description.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:31 pm

This is still yet another "problem" that's masked by JNF most of the time, and is mentioned multiple times in JNF's thread. This issue has been around for at least 2 years, probably since Papyrus, and definitely since the recent new infrastructure. This is an issue with Features and "eventual consistency" as a result of it being a distributed system. When everything on the backend is running smoothly, the delay between two data loads is enough for your saves to have converged.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby atomicdecay » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:41 pm

I know it's moot since null elevations have been disabled in the latest release, but FWIW I was seeing the issue with or without JNF enabled. I didn't try every kind of edit, but with JUST Validator installed it had the same null elevation issue if I renamed a segment (changing turn restrictions didn't trigger it though).
I also agree that I think it was just a cosmetic display issue. Like SuperDave I could refresh the map data and all the elevation values were correct. I had to take it a further step because even though I knew the values were correct, the segments were still highlighted. The highlighting would go away after I selected/deselected the segment or did a full chrome page refresh. Minor annoyance, but nothing critical. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
atomicdecay

Postby freade » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:57 pm

I'm having the same issue. To correct this I just need to disable JNF, right?

Thanks!

Edit: It worked for me, no more ground elevation being set to Null :D
freade

Next

Return to Waze Map Editor