Loss of elevation data

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Loss of elevation data

Postby qwaletee » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:45 am

It seems that a number of editors are finding that they sometimes have elevation level nulled out after saving, on segments that had previously been saved with valid elevation data. Not only is it affecting segments that have been edited, it is affecting multiple segments off the same junction.

See start of discussion here and here

Editors reporting the phenomenon so far: ctpoole, atomicdecay, qwaletee, rgatland, orbitc.

Several other editors cannot reproduce the problem.

My detailed summary of the actions I took that produced the error:
Changing a junction, or maybe the elevation of one segment attached to the junction, seems to drop elevation from all the segments in the junction. This appears to be true even if I select the unexpectedly modified segments -- the standard WME segment properties show blank elevation.

If I have a segment that has directional or reverse connection issues and fix it, after I save, it gets highlighted for elevation out of range, but it wasn't highlighted for that before. (I.e., when I select the segment, it only shows the reverse connection problem, it does not also show an elevation note.) This may simply be a symptom of the above -- until I changed the junction to eliminate the reverse connection, perhaps the segment had a properly assigned elevation, so there was no reason to show an elevation note. Once I saved, and the elevation was lost, then there was a reason to display the issue.

So I'm going to vote for there being a problem with WME killing elevation values right now, or a problem with JNF/toolbox doing it.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Re: Loss of elevation data

Postby qwaletee » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:54 am

Edit: Updated list of affected users.

More investigation reveals a fairly repeatable scenario:

• find a junction with reverse connectivity or soft turns
  • select it
  • hit Q to fix (uses JNF or toolbox)
  • if any segments change, they lose elevation

Note that this only occurs if Q changes a segment (road changes to orange).
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby BellHouse » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:11 am

Just to be sure: have you double-checked that the elevation data is really lost in the database, or is it just not being displayed? So, if you reload the WME page, is the elevation still blank?

Otherwize, is might "just" be this bug: https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 42#p694942

EDIT: With WME Validator 0.9.2, nearly all segments I touch (with QW) report a missing elevation. However, all cases I have seen today were "false alarms", so reloading the page brings the elevations back.
Global Champ / DACH Champ / CM Germany / Self-Management-Team Germany
BellHouse
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby SuperDave1426 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:50 pm

It's happening to me, too. I had reported it in another message that I can't locate right now, but was basically told it was a display bug and to just use the Toolbox function to refresh the screen.

To be sure, doing that does seem to return the segments to show "ground" instead of a blank entry. I haven't yet tried this out where I had a road with an elevation different from "ground." (I'm not saying that it hasn't happened - I just haven't been dealing with a road with a different elevation level.)

It became way more obvious that it's happening (exactly as you describe) since the Validator now highlights roads with an invalid elevation setting.

Display or other type of bug notwithstanding, it's a real pain to have to deal with resetting the elevation (either road-by-road or with a Toolbox map refresh) whenever you edit a segment...
ImageImageImageImage
Country Manager: USA (mostly oriented around NV & CA)
Editor Guide Best Editing Practices Editor Quick-start
Places Guidelines Nevada Wiki
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby davielde » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:53 pm

BellHouse wrote:Just to be sure: have you double-checked that the elevation data is really lost in the database, or is it just not being displayed? So, if you reload the WME page, is the elevation still blank?

From everything that I have seen, reloading WME is restoring the elevation, and Validator is no longer highlighting an out of range elevation.
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan
davielde
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby SuperDave1426 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:59 pm

Upon further examination, I find that it happens a lot even without using Q to fix a junction. I've done nothing more than select a segment and change the name of the road and then had the elevation show up as blank after the save. Toolbox map refresh does return the elevation to "ground."
ImageImageImageImage
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:03 pm

SuperDave1426 wrote:Upon further examination, I find that it happens a lot even without using Q to fix a junction. I've done nothing more than select a segment and change the name of the road and then had the elevation show up as blank after the save. Toolbox map refresh does return the elevation to "ground."

Make sure you are testing with and without extensions. To see if a specific extension is causing an issue, you'd need to make changes/save with that extension, but then refresh the map (maybe in another no-extension browser) to see if the extension actually caused a problem. You can't properly test the effects in a browser with Toolbox or JNF, etc. installed.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby SuperDave1426 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:25 pm

I'll look into that once I get a chance, thanks.

Why would one of those extensions affect the way the elevation is displayed when you select a road segment, but only after having saved a change? Just out of curiosity....
ImageImageImageImage
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:41 pm

SuperDave1426 wrote:Why would one of those extensions affect the way the elevation is displayed when you select a road segment, but only after having saved a change? Just out of curiosity....

What I'm thinking is that one or more extensions may be "masking" the incorrect display of elevation. (Display effect only; data is correct in the database.) Or possibly, one or more extensions is creating a problem on save and saving bad data. (Data is incorrect in the database.) An extension could, possibly (unlikely? I don't know) be causing a save problem and also masking the display of that problem at the same time.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby SuperDave1426 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:49 pm

I don't think bad data is going to the database - if it were, wouldn't a refresh of the map still show an empty elevation drop-down, rather than resetting it to "ground?"

But I'll try again without any extensions when I get a chance. No more time for today. :-)
ImageImageImageImage
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Next

Return to Waze Map Editor