The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Loss of elevation data

Post by
It seems that a number of editors are finding that they sometimes have elevation level nulled out after saving, on segments that had previously been saved with valid elevation data. Not only is it affecting segments that have been edited, it is affecting multiple segments off the same junction.

See start of discussion here and here

Editors reporting the phenomenon so far: ctpoole, atomicdecay, qwaletee, rgatland, orbitc.

Several other editors cannot reproduce the problem.

My detailed summary of the actions I took that produced the error:
Changing a junction, or maybe the elevation of one segment attached to the junction, seems to drop elevation from all the segments in the junction. This appears to be true even if I select the unexpectedly modified segments -- the standard WME segment properties show blank elevation.

If I have a segment that has directional or reverse connection issues and fix it, after I save, it gets highlighted for elevation out of range, but it wasn't highlighted for that before. (I.e., when I select the segment, it only shows the reverse connection problem, it does not also show an elevation note.) This may simply be a symptom of the above -- until I changed the junction to eliminate the reverse connection, perhaps the segment had a properly assigned elevation, so there was no reason to show an elevation note. Once I saved, and the elevation was lost, then there was a reason to display the issue.

So I'm going to vote for there being a problem with WME killing elevation values right now, or a problem with JNF/toolbox doing it.

POSTER_ID:14073768

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
SuperDave1426 wrote:Upon further examination, I find that it happens a lot even without using Q to fix a junction. I've done nothing more than select a segment and change the name of the road and then had the elevation show up as blank after the save. Toolbox map refresh does return the elevation to "ground."
Make sure you are testing with and without extensions. To see if a specific extension is causing an issue, you'd need to make changes/save with that extension, but then refresh the map (maybe in another no-extension browser) to see if the extension actually caused a problem. You can't properly test the effects in a browser with Toolbox or JNF, etc. installed.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
SuperDave1426 wrote:Why would one of those extensions affect the way the elevation is displayed when you select a road segment, but only after having saved a change? Just out of curiosity....
What I'm thinking is that one or more extensions may be "masking" the incorrect display of elevation. (Display effect only; data is correct in the database.) Or possibly, one or more extensions is creating a problem on save and saving bad data. (Data is incorrect in the database.) An extension could, possibly (unlikely? I don't know) be causing a save problem and also masking the display of that problem at the same time.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by atomicdecay
I know it's moot since null elevations have been disabled in the latest release, but FWIW I was seeing the issue with or without JNF enabled. I didn't try every kind of edit, but with JUST Validator installed it had the same null elevation issue if I renamed a segment (changing turn restrictions didn't trigger it though).
I also agree that I think it was just a cosmetic display issue. Like SuperDave I could refresh the map data and all the elevation values were correct. I had to take it a further step because even though I knew the values were correct, the segments were still highlighted. The highlighting would go away after I selected/deselected the segment or did a full chrome page refresh. Minor annoyance, but nothing critical. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
atomicdecay
Send a message
[img]https:///kw8w7[/img]
Tampa / St. Petersburg

Post by BellHouse
Just to be sure: have you double-checked that the elevation data is really lost in the database, or is it just not being displayed? So, if you reload the WME page, is the elevation still blank?

Otherwize, is might "just" be this bug: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=80526&p=694942#p694942

EDIT: With WME Validator 0.9.2, nearly all segments I touch (with QW) report a missing elevation. However, all cases I have seen today were "false alarms", so reloading the page brings the elevations back.
BellHouse
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by BellHouse
I did some more tests on the loss of elevation data phenomenon, enabling and disabling different combinations of scripts.

My conclusion is, that this is triggered by the Junction Node Fixer (JNF) script, and by this one alone. If I disable JNF, the elevations always stay (so WME Validator does not report missing elevations). If I enable JNF, the issue returns. I have sent JNF's author a message.

WME Toolbox does not seem to be the cause. If I have this one enabled (without JNF), the elevation data (and display) is ok.

So WME as such has nothing to do with the loss of display of elevation data.
BellHouse
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by BellHouse
If someone finds a case where the elevation data of a segment is lost (null), also after a refresh of WME, please leave it that way and post a permalink. It would be interesting to see of this happens preferably on US or INTL servers, for instance. I have never seen such a case on the INTL server (but I believe you that they do exist, of course ;)).
BellHouse
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by berestovskyy
Is it OK if I temporarily disable reporting of null elevations in the next Validator release until we resolve the issue?
berestovskyy
Send a message

Post by bgodette
This is still yet another "problem" that's masked by JNF most of the time, and is mentioned multiple times in JNF's thread. This issue has been around for at least 2 years, probably since Papyrus, and definitely since the recent new infrastructure. This is an issue with Features and "eventual consistency" as a result of it being a distributed system. When everything on the backend is running smoothly, the delay between two data loads is enough for your saves to have converged.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by davielde
BellHouse wrote:Just to be sure: have you double-checked that the elevation data is really lost in the database, or is it just not being displayed? So, if you reload the WME page, is the elevation still blank?
From everything that I have seen, reloading WME is restoring the elevation, and Validator is no longer highlighting an out of range elevation.
davielde
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/69/W ... 00k_5c.png
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan

Post by freade
Same thing happening here.
freade
Send a message