The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

How to create a super wide road with toll?

Post by skumar69
Hi,
There is a road which for some short distance is exceptionally wider in comparison to other segments, because it caters to a Toll(map).

I have two questions now:
1) Because the physical road is very wide, vehicles driving there all make Waze think that new roads exist there and it comes in red on the cartouche. How do I create that road as a single road but being very wide, so that all gps trails on that wide road stick correctly to the single road

2) Can i mark the toll as a POI or something?
skumar69

POSTER_ID:1095976

Send a message
[img]https:///icPqLq[/img]

Post by AchterHetStuur
For a wide area as shown on the satview, I would make a few roads side-by-side to catch all the gps tracks. Don't forget to join them right (connectivity) on the start and end-junction. You should also mark the roads as "Parking-lot-road". This prevents unwanted traffic jams at the toll-booth.

And right over the toll-booth you may create a landmark called "Toll-booth".
AchterHetStuur
Send a message
Areamanager: Haaglanden, NL en beheerder van Usernotez!

Post by AchterHetStuur
dmcconachie wrote:Why mark as parking lot? If it takes x minutes to get through the route should reflect that. Eventually the server will determine the correct average time and you'll only get traffic alerts when it's busy, which is the way it should work!
May be serviceroad is an better alternative, because it is routable.

If it is busy, there will be a queue on the access or exitroad, so the messages will appear then. But if there is one person with Waze (in the car behind him), that has to look for cashmoney too long, there will be a direct message about a traffic-jam. And that's info you don't want to appear.
AchterHetStuur
Send a message
Areamanager: Haaglanden, NL en beheerder van Usernotez!

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I would say if it is really wide, like 8 lanes per side, then another road would make sense so people who have record turned on are less likely to create roads. However, I would not create it as Parking Lot roads because, while they are routeable, they have a VERY high penalty. Just create it as the same road type as the original.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by dmcconachie
Why mark as parking lot? If it takes x minutes to get through the route should reflect that. Eventually the server will determine the correct average time and you'll only get traffic alerts when it's busy, which is the way it should work!
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
Why? If it causes a backlog, it causes a backlog and you want waze to report that! Over time waze will lower the average slightly to reflect that. It's no different to any other sections of road!
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by robin1979
The solution is not to create extra roads there.
You only need to move both the lanes to the center of the tollbooths (use the view panel - 'color by azimuth' to get the exact center of these roads). You shouldn't have problems afterwards, Waze is smart enough to snap to those roads.
robin1979
Send a message
MapSquadEurope
Area Manager - Europe

Post by skumar69
I have started making some changes to that area as per the inputs I got from you all. For the time being, using azimuth color, I have updated the geometry of existing roads to try and keep them centered by GPS. I also noticed that the existing road of one side had incorrect direction which I have fixed. I would be monitoring my changes in the next weeks to see how it works out.

If waze is able to map the vehicle on this single road, then I would want to not make multiple roads on the map as that would be visually incorrect and potentially misleading.

I have requested AM rights for this area to better tweak it.
skumar69
Send a message
[img]https:///icPqLq[/img]