Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

"Pipe Stem" Roads

Post by wpegues
The question is, should pipe stems be removed?

In my area, residential neighborhoods are fond of creating "pipe stem" roads. These are technically not public roads, they are an extension off a public road where 1 or more houses share a private drive off of which their own driveways connect. Officially the road is not named, the addresses are all related to the road that the pipe stem connects to. Its a private drive (meaning that any maintenance of this road including repaving is jointly shared by those served by the pipe stem). In my area, some of these can be quite long, this one is a bit above the average length but many will be longer.

Here is an example of one:

http://www.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=6&l ... FFFFFFTTTT

You can see that the road ends in a cul de sac and that a 'road' then continues on which serves several houses. This extension is a 'pipe stem'.

Thanks!
wpegues

POSTER_ID:1396368

Send a message
Will
iPad Air, iOS 7.1.2
iPhone 4s, iOS 7.1.2
MacBookPro 15" Retina, Mountain Lion 10.9.4
Area Manager: Northern Virginia

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I and I believe most map editors, as is the standard for Waze, agree that private drives which serve multiple houses, especially if they are long, are a necessary part of accurate navigation in Waze. Short driveways serving a single address, and even short driveways (less than 10m) which serve multiple addresses are unnecessary as the main address can be put on the parent street.

But as Chris says, when the drive is extended, more than 10-15m, then it becomes necessary to add the private drive and name it the same as the parent street. That gives us the ability to direct an address search directly to the residence, not just to the intersection with the parent road and then leave it up to the driver to find the house after that. Some private drives can be 1-2km long with a dozen address locations, and it is not desired to let the driver figure it out.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
hallmike wrote:I disagree. Adding every private driveway, even when they are short and you can see the house(s) would clutter the map and add so many excess junctions that it would be a strain on the servers to do navigation.
I agree, which is why I mentioned above about some kind of length limit, similar to the wideness of a median being a factor in determining when to split a road.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
RallyChris wrote:Then we need to enhance the client software to say destination on right or left. House numbers are stored that way, just the client doesn't say it. As hallmike said, the processing gets hard when small segments are involved, the less complicated the map, the better.
I also agree with this! :)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by hallmike
I disagree. Adding every private driveway, even when they are short and you can see the house(s) would clutter the map and add so many excess junctions that it would be a strain on the servers to do navigation.
hallmike
Send a message
https://photos.imageevent.com/hallmike/ ... llmike.jpg ...when you care enough to Waze the very best

Post by petervdveen
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I and I believe most map editors, as is the standard for Waze, agree that private drives which serve multiple houses, especially if they are long, are a necessary part of accurate navigation in Waze. Short driveways serving a single address, and even short driveways (less than 10m) which serve multiple addresses are unnecessary as the main address can be put on the parent street.
I think if there is only one house on the drive way it's still better to leave that road.
I think it's better of waze says turn right in stead of just 'you reseaved at your destination'.
I think it makes it a lot clearer wich house is the destination.

If you leave this driveways on the map you always 100% sure wich side of the road you destination is.. ;)
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Coordinator Waze Netherlands

Click here to sign-up for slack, our communication platform

Contact by email: NL - BE - Lux - Benelux

Post by RallyChris
I don't have time to search the wiki, but I think this is a prefect definition of a private road. And in my next of the map, we normally name them the same as the road they join into, so that way if a house number is added, it can be navigated to.
RallyChris
Send a message
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png

Post by RallyChris
petervdveen wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I and I believe most map editors, as is the standard for Waze, agree that private drives which serve multiple houses, especially if they are long, are a necessary part of accurate navigation in Waze. Short driveways serving a single address, and even short driveways (less than 10m) which serve multiple addresses are unnecessary as the main address can be put on the parent street.
I think if there is only one house on the drive way it's still better to leave that road.
I think it's better of waze says turn right in stead of just 'you reseaved at your destination'.
I think it makes it a lot clearer wich house is the destination.

If you leave this driveways on the map you always 100% sure wich side of the road you destination is.. ;)
Then we need to enhance the client software to say destination on right or left. House numbers are stored that way, just the client doesn't say it. As hallmike said, the processing gets hard when small segments are involved, the less complicated the map, the better.
RallyChris
Send a message
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png

Post by wpegues
Thanks! Yes, some are very short and you can visually see the house(s) but some are long and wander into valleys where you can't see any of the several houses down the road.

For now, if they exist at any length on the Cartouche, I will leave them. Where they are missing I will add the longer ones.
wpegues
Send a message
Will
iPad Air, iOS 7.1.2
iPhone 4s, iOS 7.1.2
MacBookPro 15" Retina, Mountain Lion 10.9.4
Area Manager: Northern Virginia