The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Complex time-of-day restriction: what takes precedence?

Post by MisterMooCow
There's an upcoming interstate closure that will start at 22:00 on Friday, 16 May 2014 and end at 15:00 on Saturday, 17 May 2014. I'm putting in a restriction, but I'm unsure as to which constraints take precedence. If I say "from 22:00 to 15:00" with a range of 16 May 2014 to 16 May 2014, will that do what I want? Or will the range supersede the times and only keep the road closed until 23:59:59 16 May (thus requiring me to add a second restriction from 00:00 to 15:00 on 17 May)?

Another way to ask might be: does the "range" only apply to the start time?
MisterMooCow

POSTER_ID:4255912

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
If you set a single day restriction (16th to 16th) which spans midnight, then you get a single restriction. If you set a restriction 16th to 17th which spans midnight, you'll get two days of restrictions. The time the restriction starts on follows the days selected from start to end date, inclusive.

To help with these kinds of restrictions, and to make it more clear in the parent interface, I often will take a single day restriction by setting the dates to be up to a week, at least a few days span, and then I select the specific day the actual closure is on. That way, the day it is closed shows in the parent summary window.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
kcpeteg wrote:Please post a screenshot of the restrictions dialog showing what you described. Thanks.
Attached. Shows a spanning date range, but only one day was checked for the closure.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Attachments
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by davielde
The app states that the restriction will end on the following day, so it looks like Waze at least tried to account for the possibility. Most apps would likely not allow an end datetime to be before a start datetime.

Unfortunately, it provides the same message if you extend the date range, so the question becomes "do you trust it?". I never have for restrictions lasting more than one day and have instead added multiple restrictions, but I would say you are probably safe here. An interstate is probably not the best road type to test on either.

EDIT: The web response sends back the expected range, so you'll be safe:

And this appears to be true even if you have it set for a range of more than one day:
davielde
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/69/W ... 00k_5c.png
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan

Post by davielde
jhfrontz wrote:I"m not sure, though, where you're reading the "response" (one of the many javascript add-ons?) -- is it not just a parroting of the data fields that were submitted? I guess what I'm saying is "I'm not following how the business logic can be inferred from this information". Sorry, I'm slow-- step me through, please?
I obtained the "response" using an add-on for Firefox and not a WME script, and it's simply all of the WME data presented in text rather than a friendly user interface. You are correct in that it is simply parroting the data that was submitted, but I would have a reasonable expectation that the way that it is submitted, stored and then represented back to the user in WME is how it would end up being used for routing. While a good assumption, it still *is* an assumption though, so it's probably worth testing out just in case there is a disconnect between WME and the behavior of the routing server.
davielde
Send a message
WME Michigan

Post by davielde
The response is as submitted, so the "next day" message is incorrect from the perspective of the data:

As for what behavior that will cause, who knows? It may not even enforce a restriction. That would need to be tested in real life. Most applications would do a check prior to saving to make sure that your end datetime does not precede your start datetime. WME apparently is not doing that, and then add on the fact that the way that the restriction dates and times are presented in the user interface is a little out of the norm, and hence confusion results. I would consider this case of the end time prior to start time for the same day a bug if I were developing the software.
davielde
Send a message
WME Michigan

Post by kcpeteg
Why not set multiple restrictions. Set a restriction from 22:00 to 24:00 on 16 May and then another Restriction from 00:00 to 15:00 on 17 May. That covers it all accurately.
kcpeteg
Send a message
kcPeteG

Post by kcpeteg
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:To help with these kinds of restrictions, and to make it more clear in the parent interface, I often will take a single day restriction by setting the dates to be up to a week, at least a few days span, and then I select the specific day the actual closure is on. That way, the day it is closed shows in the parent summary window.
Please post a screenshot of the restrictions dialog showing what you described. Thanks.
kcpeteg
Send a message
kcPeteG

Post by MisterMooCow
kcpeteg wrote:Why not set multiple restrictions. Set a restriction from 22:00 to 24:00 on 16 May and then another Restriction from 00:00 to 15:00 on 17 May. That covers it all accurately.
Give it a try-- When you enter 22:00 as the start time, a little status comes up next to where you're about to enter the end time saying "The restriction will end on the following day". So if I enter 24:00, does that mean it will end on Saturday at 24:00? Or does it mean that it will end on the start day at 23:59:59? Or something else entirely (e.g., because the date range will supersede it)?
MisterMooCow
Send a message

Post by MisterMooCow
russblau wrote:Set the end time to 23:59, not 24:00. According to Waze, that covers you up to 23:59:59.999.... :)
So when it says "The restriction will end on the following day", what day would that 23:59:59.999 be on?

Edit: never mind, the info alert changes when I enter a different time from the default.
MisterMooCow
Send a message