Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Recommended Route Bad for Parking Structure Access

Post by Jimbo724
Today I followed the route that Waze recommended to a building, but it was a bad route for getting into the parking structure. To get into the parking structure, I had to drive around the block and enter the parking structure from a different street (which also happens to be one-way). Waze needs to be told that the best approach to this particular address is from the one-way street, perpendicular to the one that Waze told me to follow. It is rather like telling Waze that to get to this address, Waze must first navigate to a specific intersection and then turn into the one-way street and approach from the south, and not actually navigate to the street address. Is this a map editing issue? Is this something that I could figure out as my first foray into map editing?
Jimbo724

POSTER_ID:16929789

Send a message

Post by admclamb
I would suggest adding a permalink so that the experts can see what you're talking about. Then they can advise you about the best way to handle it.

ADMclamb

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
admclamb
Send a message

Post by elp2tlh
While I am not an expert (yet), I'm not sure this is something you should undertake as one of your first ventures into map editing. At least in part, that's because I'm not sure the problem can be fixed.

Depending upon whether the building in question is a point place or an area place the approach would differ. If it is large enough to justify an area place under the guidelines, you could try moving the location indicator closer to the suggested arrival point. If it's a point place, or if it's being looked up by Google, then I'm not sure there's anything that can be done.

I'm certain that others can offer more insight . That I would suggest holding off on making any changes until you get more feedback.

... Ed
elp2tlh
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
Jimbo724 wrote:I'm not familiar with permalinks......
If you look at the bottom right hand corner of the screen, you will see what looks like two diamonds, one on top of another. If you click on it while you are centered over the area you are looking at, the URL will change to that exact location and zoom level. Just copy and paste that URL.

Here is the wiki on permalinks.
Fredo-p
Send a message

Arizona Wiki | @Waze_Arizona Twitter
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S8+

Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
ottonymy,

This is a great point to make in regards to address stop points that are located on another road. I'm going to share this on the Arizona Google+ page so others are aware of a possible issue and solution when dealing with a UR with wrong driving directions/missing address.
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by Jimbo724
Yah, the map editing appears quite complicated. Maybe the building and its parking structure should be treated as a single area place, and the suggested arrival point should be the entrance to the parking structure. I'm not up to making such changes yet.

Driving around the block was not a big deal today, but sometimes, in some parts of town, it seems to take half an hour.
Jimbo724
Send a message

Post by Jimbo724
I'm not familiar with permalinks, so let me illustrate with a screenshot and arrows:

http://monosnap.com/image/dh5ywbVQ2TIP8 ... U1QX7l.png

The building is below the green arrow point in the upper right of the screenshot. Waze told me to approach from the north-east on E Colorado Blvd, but that required me to drive around the block to access the parking structure from Hudson. It would have been better to approach from the south-east on Hudson, a one-way street, because that is the only access to the parking structure.
Jimbo724
Send a message

Post by krikketdoug
ottonomy wrote:The next thing you need to do, if you plan to navigate to this address with Waze again, is to delete the former search result from your recent destination list in the app. That old result will still contain the GPS location for the Colorado Stop Point.
I've been working similar issues in the Mid-West. It is worth pointing out that after you delete the destination from your history (both from you search history, but also favorites, if that applies) let a little time pass. (Unfortunately, I don't know how much. By default, I've been waiting half a day, as I'm not in a rush to make things happen. It'll happen when it happens. But maybe 5 minutes is enough time. I haven't experimented much with this.)

The reason for the delay is because I've found it's possible to go to deleted favorites and places in your search history unless you wait a little bit. And that gives you the bad destination...

One other thing that's not immediately obvious, is when you are searching for Places(point/area), it appears that Google is you default search-engine. You need to switch the Waze engine after you get results, to find the Places(point/area).

Krikket
krikketdoug
Send a message

Post by ottonomy
Jimbo724, this happens to be a part of town that I know very well, and a building which I have frequented over the years. Not only is the parking entrance on Hudson Ave, rather than Colorado Blvd, as you point out, but the main building entry is also on Hudson. And if you do pull up in front on Colorado, you can't see where the parking structure is without getting out and walking around the building. If you're unfamiliar with the area, all the one-way streets that flank Colorado Blvd and Lake Ave can make it positively vexing to get where you need to go. You have to go around more than one block to approach again from the correct direction.

So, how do we solve this? While there are several ways to attack the problem, the simplest one is a bit counterintuitive. I deleted the Waze House Number for 790 E Colorado Blvd. When Waze is navigating to an address using one of its own house numbers for the destination, it uses the Stop Point of the House Number to determine where the driver is supposed to stop, and on which road segment. Unfortunately, in the current version of WME, we are not able to put the Stop Point on a street with a different name from the one with the address. Scooting the 790 House Number itself around has no effect, because the Stop Point is tied to Colorado Blvd. Removing the House Number will force Waze to rely on the Google GPS pin for the address, and route the driver to whichever segment is closest to that pin. I looked at it in Google Map Maker, and wasn't convinced that the pin was far enough from Colorado Blvd, so I submitted an edit of its location, which is currently pending review. I also moved the pin for the parking garage itself. Once all of those edits are live, routes to 790 E Colorado Blvd should end up on Hudson Ave.

The next thing you need to do, if you plan to navigate to this address with Waze again, is to delete the former search result from your recent destination list in the app. That old result will still contain the GPS location for the Colorado Stop Point. If you do a search for the address, you can recognize the old result by the little clock icon to the left of it in the list. You don't need to delete it, but doing so makes it a lot easier not to accidentally choose it again.

If the above solution doesn't work, there is another way that will for sure, but it's not as elegant...

And feel free to PM me with any editing questions involving the Pasadena Area, or anywhere in SoCal...

Otto
ottonomy
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Last edited by ottonomy on Sun May 18, 2014 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Country Manager & Global Champ - United States
Regional Coordinator - Southwest USA
Area Manager - Southern California