A side project: more video tutorials

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

A side project: more video tutorials

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:33 pm

I took a quick look over the exiting video tutorials and found some needs for more updated info. So, I tried creating some more. I did these late in the evening, so as to not disturb the sleeping family, I sound like I'm talking quietly. And I talk too fast sometimes.

I made these videos for those who are familiar with shortcut keys as I use them a lot.

Let me know if you think these are useful and/or how to change them.

Waze Editing: Make and overpass using the Bridge function
Waze Editing: Make and overpass without using the Bridge function
Waze Editing: Using aerials and GPS tracks to align segments
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: A side project: more video tutorials

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun May 01, 2011 6:26 am

dmcconachie wrote:Nice job, Alan! My thoughts... I'd be wary about putting too much time into these given the promise of a new cartouche in the not too distant future! Once we have that though, I think a series of brief how-tos would be great and we should make them quite prominent in the editing wiki!

That is a most excellent point. I think I'll not worry about doing many yet... But then again, it could be several months before it is released and there could be many fledging editors who could be helped! :)

dmcconachie wrote:
johndrush wrote:The only minor criticism in the first video is you sometimes jerk the map around. For a newb trying to follow you, slower, more deliberate moves of the map would help.

I did actually think that too. Got better with vids 2 and 3 though!

Thanks, I will keep my mind on that. There's a good reason the last one was better, and that's because I was actually doing the voice-over at the same time. First two vids I overdubbed the audio after-the-fact, so when I was editing, I wasn't thinking about the talking part, I was just flying through the edits.

dmcconachie wrote:... when you delete that extra section of highway, there was a node on the eastern side which obviously became invisible once the segment was deleted - you should probably delete the node first!

Even though I know this, and have even written about it on the forums, I have yet to really internalize this and make it a habit.

GizmoGuy411 wrote:What screen capture program did you use. Just curious.

This is Safari on a Mac and I used the Screen Recording feature which is built in to the standard QuickTime Player app. It does full 1920x1080 capture (likely more with larger screens now) with audio. I used Avidemux to crop (and re-encode, because you can't crop without re-encoding).
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby dmcconachie » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:31 pm

Nice job, Alan! My thoughts... I'd be wary about putting too much time into these given the promise of a new cartouche in the not too distant future! Once we have that though, I think a series of brief how-tos would be great and we should make them quite prominent in the editing wiki!

Regarding the videos themselves, can't really fault them other than to say it might be useful to briefly mention what keyboard shortcuts you're using as you use them. Otherwise it's not always obvious what option you're using!

Was funny with the third, I was just thinking, "Hmm, I'd probably make that a bit more of a T-junction" and seconds later you piped up with exactly that! :)
dmcconachie • UK Country Admin • Forum Moderator • Former Global Champ
Nexus 4 • Android 4.3
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

Postby dmcconachie » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:42 pm

jondrush wrote:Nice job. The only minor criticism in the first video is you sometimes jerk the map around. For a newb trying to follow you, slower, more deliberate moves of the map would help.

I did actually think that too. Got better with vids 2 and 3 though!
Nexus 4 • Android 4.3
dmcconachie

Postby dmcconachie » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:32 pm

That's the other thing I was going to say... when you delete that extra section of highway, there was a node on the eastern side which obviously became invisible once the segment was deleted - you should probably delete the node first!
Nexus 4 • Android 4.3
dmcconachie

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:25 pm

Nice job Alan!

I especially like the ending of your other T-shirt folding video! (Even though you don't do it in 2 seconds like the Japanese tutorial.)

Actually, your videos are a great practice run for when we will all have to learn "Cartouche - Re-imagined".... hopefully soon.

I did have a question for you. What screen capture program did you use. Just curious.
ImageImageImageImage
CM: U.S.
RC: Great Lakes - IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
AM: NW OH, NE IN, & SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Galaxy S4 w/ Android 4.3 & iPad "3" w/ iOS 7.1
GizmoGuy411
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jondrush » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Nice job. The only minor criticism in the first video is you sometimes jerk the map around. For a newb trying to follow you, slower, more deliberate moves of the map would help.
Keeping the Waze maps tidy since 2009
Northeast Region Assistant Coordinator
jondrush User Page
ImageImage
jondrush
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Return to Waze Map Editor