The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by Olestas
So, how do we force them to find and fix problem for Riga Airport?
Olestas
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Olestas
Yes, waze goes to google pin.. I think I have submitted it there.
Olestas
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Poncewattle
Machete808 wrote: Rodgers should be the LAST turn, yet it shows on the top bar as the first one.
I've seen that happen a few times when navigating to an address 200 miles away and it shows the first turn as the street address I am navigating to, 200 miles away. Soon as I drove a little bit it went away and was replaced with the correct next turn.

I think it's a general bug, not related to the airport issue.
Poncewattle  
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
I find it helps to give "evidence" in the reports. For example, if it is a badly placed addressed, give a short URL to a Streetview image that demonstrates it is wrong, or give links to Google place data that conflicts.

Even then, yes, you will often get the stock answer. When the reviewer is in India and works for the Google business listings database team, they're really inflexible. It is as if they have been drilled into thinking that their data is excellent AND don't spend more than 10 seconds reviewing any edit. Fortunately, they are not the only reviewers.

For airports, you have a tough problem because the problem seems to be by design. Google seems to have made the decision that large polygons should have their pin centered. It doesn't affect their routing, because they have separate listings for the airport shape and airport address, and they route via the address. Not sure how they are tied together. But for whatever reason, the API returns the shape pin, not coordinates for the address.

Since this is a Google maps policy, we're pushing against a wall.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by qwaletee
SuperDave1426 wrote:
qwaletee wrote:Since this is a Google maps policy, we're pushing against a wall.
Which, IMO, is all the more reason why Waze should prefer the data that they are requesting WE had for them over Google's..... If that were the case, this wouldn't be an issue.

Yea, I know..... :/
That may be an even bigger wall, because either Waze will make massive improvements in search using their own data, or they won't. It seems right now it isn't a big priority, and it is a tough problem (since Google has so much more data, and complex indexing and searching algorithms are Google's forte, so Waze is way behind technologically, with not enough resources to catch up in this particular area)
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by redviper26
Guys, we need some more info to check this. Can you send some of the URs? How is this affecting users? If it's not the first result, it stands to reason most would not choose it no?

The more details the easier it would be for us.

Thanks,

Noam
redviper26
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message

Post by redviper26
This seems to be an ads related bug. Should be fixed by Thursday - let me know if there are any issues.

Noam
redviper26
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
Well, I'm glad you've had good luck with them, shawndoc. Myself, I've had 3 URs in the past month alone from Waze routing people to the taxi waiting area or private pilots' terminal (instead of the main public terminal) at Reno-Tahoe International Airport, and all I was able to do was send back a "Sorry but there's nothing we can do about that since Waze uses Google Maps as its primary source for address and POI location data." I've even added a place point called Reno-Tahoe International Airport Terminal in the hopes that it would turn up in the auto-suggestions when someone starts typing in the name of the airport. I have no idea if that's going to help.

Why the heck is Waze putting so much emphasis on encouraging editors to add house address number and place & area points with good street address information if they're only going to ignore it when Google has the information? They really should put the information in Waze's database as primary and then fall back to Google when something isn't there; otherwise, I really don't see the reason for Waze editors doing all that work....

I really hope that there are plans to at some point have navigation switch over to using Waze data as primary lookup.
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
TrafficGuy01 wrote:Remember at the bottom of Google maps page there is a report a problem button, also you can help Google like with Waze and work on their edits as well, link below Map Maker. I use it to help solve some of my own issues. It might save a little time

http://www.google.com/mapmaker
I do that all the time. Most of the time, though, a reviewer just denies it out of hand with a "available information is more accurate" and then I have to argue and may or not convince them.....
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
qwaletee wrote:Since this is a Google maps policy, we're pushing against a wall.
Which, IMO, is all the more reason why Waze should prefer the data that they are requesting WE had for them over Google's..... If that were the case, this wouldn't be an issue.

Yea, I know..... :/
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message