Post Reply

Flagging long term roadworks but told can't be done?

Post by ChairmanNow
So I've had a roadworks issue in my local area that's lead to an automated traffic signal being installed and a reduction to one lane usage flow control. This issue is due a subsidence situation has been going on for 6 months now and is easily forecast to go another several. Yet at the moment, despite arguments with a fellow more senior map editor who noted that 'nothing can be done' to get it properly marked for the period without say my own almost daily detailed flagging(cut and paste description and take a photo) in Waze as I travel through it. Conversely though, I was able to recently prove a permanent or semi permanent flagging can indeed be applied which I noticed while traveling through an area I regularly traverse which has a near identical issue with the only difference being landslip on to road as opposed to under road subsidence. So now I'm at truly at odds as to why one case can be handled properly and the other seemingly can't in the Waze editor :roll: ...

The (semi)permanent roadworks area (don't have the manually flagged location snapshotted since it disappears in no time at all):

https://i.postimg.cc/zf6rtmnc/IMG-3280.png

The manually flagged same format roadworks in my local area:

https://i.postimg.cc/hvDd0b90/IMG-3294.jpg
ChairmanNow
Posts: 7
Has thanked: 2 times
Last edited by ChairmanNow on Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by atrophicshiner
Assuming you have already posted in the Australian forum, and the senior editors you mention have already explained things, I'll try provide some opinions from a UK perspective.

Hazard reports made from the application have an expiry period to prevent the map being littered with reports that never disappear. The exact time span they linger is not known but can be influence by other users, confirming the hazard extends the visibility period, while marking it not there will reduce / remove it. The senioritory of the user may also play a part in timings. The screenshot above shows 63 users have confirmed the hazard, extending its visibility.

If your report is located on a road that gets less traffic or users that don't interact with the app, then there is little an editor can do, editors can only add full closures to the map. Editor can map hazards s these are done via the application. You describe 2-way traffic under temporary traffic light control, so the road is open in both directions.

In the UK we have an data feed that adds hazard reports of local authority works to the map that include known (expected) end dates, these therefore could be classed as semi permanent as they linger to the expected end date unless down voting removes them or users comment on them stating they are gone.
atrophicshiner
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Posts: 3741
Has thanked: 1314 times
Been thanked: 1365 times
- Chris - (Catching up with the Ians one Chris at a time)

https://cottagepi.uk/proud-wazer.gifhttps://cottagepi.uk/pirate.pnghttps://cottagepi.uk/Beta_app.pnghttps://cottagepi.uk/tolls.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/c5.png
UK Local Champ would you believe
AM the Middle bit of England
Usability | Simplicity | Retention

Post by miole67
ChairmanNow wrote:So I've had a roadworks issue in my local area that's lead to an automated traffic signal being installed and a reduction to one lane usage flow control. This issue is due a subsidence situation has been going on for 6 months now and is easily forecast to go another several. Yet at the moment, despite arguments with a fellow more senior map editor who noted that 'nothing can be done' to get it properly marked for the period without say my own almost daily detailed flagging(cut and paste description and take a photo) in Waze as I travel through it. Conversely though, I was able to recently prove a permanent or semi permanent flagging can indeed be applied which I noticed while traveling through an area I regularly traverse which has a near identical issue with the only difference being landslip on to road as opposed to under road subsidence. So now I'm at truly at odds as to why one case can be handled properly and the other seemingly can't in the Waze editor :roll: ...

The (semi)permanent roadworks area (don't have the manually flagged location snapshotted since it disappears in no time at all):

https://i.postimg.cc/zf6rtmnc/IMG-3280.png
In any case, you have chosen the wrong section of the forum to post your message.
Before writing, perhaps you need to read and look for the right section.
This section of the forum is dedicated to events (sports, roadworks, VIP visits, shows ...) that lead to road closures.
miole67
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Posts: 875
Has thanked: 148 times
Been thanked: 163 times
Maria Iole
Italian Global Champ
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]↖ Wazeopedia Italia
miole67
Italian Coordinator
Country Administrator: Italy, Madagascar, Liberia, Ivory Coast

Post by atrophicshiner
As they are asking to mark long term roadworks and you state this forum is for reporting events that include roadworks, it might not be a perfect place for this question but I can see when they chose this location.

Rather than just complain about where to post how about also adding some help or even a solution to their question.
atrophicshiner
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Posts: 3741
Has thanked: 1314 times
Been thanked: 1365 times
- Chris - (Catching up with the Ians one Chris at a time)

https://cottagepi.uk/proud-wazer.gifhttps://cottagepi.uk/pirate.pnghttps://cottagepi.uk/Beta_app.pnghttps://cottagepi.uk/tolls.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/c5.png
UK Local Champ would you believe
AM the Middle bit of England
Usability | Simplicity | Retention

Post by miole67
atrophicshiner wrote:As they are asking to mark long term roadworks and you state this forum is for reporting events that include roadworks, it might not be a perfect place for this question but I can see when they chose this location.

Rather than just complain about where to post how about also adding some help or even a solution to their question.
As written above, there are national forums. Coordinators and senior editors from many countries have the ability to post alerts on the map.
That is the place to write.
In the Italian forum we have a section dedicated to these requests.
miole67
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Posts: 875
Has thanked: 148 times
Been thanked: 163 times
Maria Iole
Italian Global Champ
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]↖ Wazeopedia Italia
miole67
Italian Coordinator
Country Administrator: Italy, Madagascar, Liberia, Ivory Coast

Post by LostInMyMaps
Hey ChairmanNow!

Thanks for your post. I've moved your post to the Australian forums :)

I hope the above replies have helped. We'd certainly like to be able to add a permanent hazard for you, but only Waze partners can do that - in your example the NSW Transport Management Centre. Even us senior editors can't do that.

Can I suggest you add a feature request at https://waze.uservoice.com/forums/59225 ... uggestions to ask for editors to be able to add permanent hazards to the map? :)

Safe driving,
LostInMyMaps
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Posts: 878
Answers: 3
Has thanked: 557 times
Been thanked: 271 times
Brendan (LostInMyMaps)
Global Champ, Coordinator, Volunteer Map Editor
Waze Australia

https://i.imgur.com/ObipQwt.png


Join me in the Waze Australia Discord Server | Australia Wiki | New Aussie Editor Link

Post by ChairmanNow
miole67 wrote:
ChairmanNow wrote:So I've had a roadworks issue in my local area that's lead to an automated traffic signal being installed and a reduction to one lane usage flow control. This issue is due a subsidence situation has been going on for 6 months now and is easily forecast to go another several. Yet at the moment, despite arguments with a fellow more senior map editor who noted that 'nothing can be done' to get it properly marked for the period without say my own almost daily detailed flagging(cut and paste description and take a photo) in Waze as I travel through it. Conversely though, I was able to recently prove a permanent or semi permanent flagging can indeed be applied which I noticed while traveling through an area I regularly traverse which has a near identical issue with the only difference being landslip on to road as opposed to under road subsidence. So now I'm at truly at odds as to why one case can be handled properly and the other seemingly can't in the Waze editor :roll: ...


The (semi)permanent roadworks area (don't have the manually flagged location snapshotted since it disappears in no time at all):

https://i.postimg.cc/zf6rtmnc/IMG-3280.png
In any case, you have chosen the wrong section of the forum to post your message.
Before writing, perhaps you need to read and look for the right section.
This section of the forum is dedicated to events (sports, roadworks, VIP visits, shows ...) that lead to road closures.

Ahh yeah thanks. Being a long time forum participant (on many enthusiast forums since the 90's) the route Waze takes you here from the main web pages doesn't mention localised forum subsections whatsoever I can assure you, so I didn't expect go looking for it like I might normally do when I hit a forum board index (especially in the clunky old phpBB format being run here). I only stumbled upon this today upon coming back via the Waze website on a more obscure link that I can't even find again..
LostInMyMaps wrote:Hey ChairmanNow!

Thanks for your post. I've moved your post to the Australian forums :)

I hope the above replies have helped. We'd certainly like to be able to add a permanent hazard for you, but only Waze partners can do that - in your example the NSW Transport Management Centre. Even us senior editors can't do that.

Can I suggest you add a feature request at https://waze.uservoice.com/forums/59225 ... uggestions to ask for editors to be able to add permanent hazards to the map? :)

Safe driving,
I thank you for assisting with that. I will head over there and get stuck into it with the locals (should I say, it's automatically cross-posting this anyway). That's an excellent call in this particular case as I cannot see the NSW TMC (or RMS) getting around to the posting themselves on the issue, so a user submittable version would be just the ticket.
ChairmanNow
Posts: 7
Has thanked: 2 times

Post by ChairmanNow
By way of update, I have now ascertained that these local roadworks that this issue stems from now will not conclude until the end of this calendar year at least, meaning well over a year of alteration in driving conditions to signal control alternating one way traffic flow. There was actually an issue today where the light were flashing yellow causing a further significant issue that I just didn't bother to flag as I would have had to engage directly with the app itself and not the Carplay interface.

Meanwhile nothing at all has happened over at the editor suggestions page since I posted a detailed summary of the request... :roll:
ChairmanNow
Posts: 7
Has thanked: 2 times

Post by ChairmanNow
Still seems to be no progress via the Map Editor Suggestions site. I've personal given up my manual hazard marking with description of the road segment as I'd been doing it for too long now.
I witnessed something a couple of weeks ago that demonstrated why such user road hazard markers should exist. I was traveling behind an uber driver (whom was obviously from outside the area), who completely ignored the automated stop light on this piece of road and very nearly ran straight into an oncoming car which just rounded the blind corner half way through it and had to reverse back some 30 metres. I know some uber drivers rely solely on the uber app, however I've also noticed plenty of drivers run waze in parallel specifically for the audible road warnings.
ChairmanNow
Posts: 7
Has thanked: 2 times

Post by LostInMyMaps
I sympathise, however as I said, there's not a lot we can do. I recommend you make a feature request with the link in my above post.
LostInMyMaps
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Posts: 878
Answers: 3
Has thanked: 557 times
Been thanked: 271 times
Brendan (LostInMyMaps)
Global Champ, Coordinator, Volunteer Map Editor
Waze Australia

https://i.imgur.com/ObipQwt.png


Join me in the Waze Australia Discord Server | Australia Wiki | New Aussie Editor Link